Verizon Freaking Delivered with LTE, I am not sure how att can top this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

http://androidforums.com/htc-thunder...te-speeds.html

This thread makes me want to get a thunderbolt 4G just to be grandfathered into unlimited data and use the phone till VZW releases a LTE iphone!

This was a speedtest from user Milan03 in the thread above with a ThunderBolt. Crazy FAST!

[​IMG]

2. mltaylor macrumors regular

Nice...but the network isn't flooded with users yet. I don't have LTE network around here yet either. I'd like ATT to come out with it here and have an unlimited plan...dreaming...

3. phillq23 macrumors member

give it 6-12 months. verizon will throttle their LTE down to **** when they start getting more people on their LTE network, just like their doing with the iphone

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, nice speeds. (even though I wouldn't benefit from them)

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm sorry but I don't buy that entirely. My fiber optic home line through Time Warner is 36Mbps down and that is almost the fastest offered in SoCal.

Even Verizon said (watching the news a couple months back) they have peaked speeds at about 45Mbps. That's optimum conditions with no bandwidth being hogged.

IMO 52Mbps seems quite unrealistic for a phone.

6. Orion126 macrumors regular

Nice download speed...........................................................

7. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

Regardless if they will throttle speeds later, it's still kind of hard to take in that right now someone is enjoying 50+ MBPS downloading speeds on a mobile network.

8. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I haven't done a speed test on my wife's verizon iphone, but loading webpages it is just as fast as my droid that's running at 1.1 gigahertz. How can I determine if it's throttled?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

VZW doesnt throttle , even the article that stated throttling was a possiblity for vzw, that article even said VZW doesn't have the throttle hardware and software in place yet

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

11. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

VZW doesnt throttle , even the article that stated throttling was a possiblity for vzw, that article even said VZW doesn't have the throttle hardware and software in place yet.

And your Droid and the iphone 4 are pretty even when it comes to performance. The iphone may even perform better...........

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

That is incredible. I don't care if they start throttling. I am getting 4 mbps with my iphone. I don't care if they throttle it down to 15mbps. That is still incredible on a mobile network. Take off your ATT helmet and try and fathom how incredible that speedtest is.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Thunderbolt phone is so thick. The battery life sucks balls. Reviewers already described that it only gets 4-5 hours of battery life on normal usage. It sucks.

I don't understand why it god's name you would want 50 MB on your phone right now.

Unlimited data is only for your phone. If you tether, then your usage is limited.

So, no... I don't want LTE network until it's widespread with good battery life devices.

Unlimited Data is nice, but it ain't going to last.

14. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is very tempting to get a ThunderBolt just to be grandfathered in to unlimited LTE! and you can tether android for free once you jailbreak it, the jailbreak process is call rooting your android phone then download the wifi tether for free app, similar to a jailbroken iphone>

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

16. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I am not gonna switch phones for it.....but if it was available, I would sure take it. Why would you NOT want it?

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

That's exactly what I saw on CNN. There is no way a phone is getting faster Internet speeds then my fiber optic cable modem.

18. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's no doubt VZW's LTE is fast, but I recall recently reading at Gizmodo, Engadget or somewhere like that that the Thunderbolt's large buffers were causing highly erroneous speed test numbers. The article said that a new version of the speed test app was coming out to correct the error.

LTE is still very fast, but it's NOT 55Mbit/sec fast.

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

While I can't/won't vouch for any particular benchmark or results, I will say this:

You _are_ going to get those speeds with LTE - and higher.

Now, caveat this with the fact that performance will degrade with simultaneous usage and loading, and yes, at some point, operators may choose to throttle or otherwise shape traffic. But there are efforts underway to address those issues as well. Can't say more, sorry.

But the key thing is that LTE as an air interface is just gonna rock. I can see 3-4 nationwide LTE providers at some point in the next 2-3 years, opening up some fairly good competition.

People generally haven't been able compare networks as it's been an apples to oranges comparison. Soon LTE will be offered by all the major players, and all it will take is a speedtest to show upload, download and latency, and those numbers will absolutely be comparable between the operators.

21. Bonds79, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Speeds very from location depending on where VZW has more spectrum depth, so in areas where spectrum depth and bandwith is wide and thick, YES 50+megs is possible! In other areas of the country where spectrum depth and bandwidth is not so thick, you will see 12 -20Mbps. Just depends where you are in the country!

VZW LTE spectrum depth vs ATT spectrum depth
    THe better the spectrum depth the higher and faster the speed for LTE in the area!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source:http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=187&p=230

22. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Speeds very from location depending on where VZW has more spectrum depth, so in areas where spectrum depth and bandwith is wide and thick, YES 50+megs is possible! In other areas of the country where spectrum depth and bandwidth is not so thick, you will see 12 -20Mbps. Just depends where you are in the country!

VZW LTE spectrum depth vs ATT spectrum depth
    THe better the spectrum depth the higher and faster the speed for LTE in the area!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source:http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=187&p=230

23. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

This is the only phone that will ever have lte, people!!!

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do some research on what LTE is and how exactly it works. It wouldn't be throttled down when there are many users using it - in fact the speed will remain consistent in major areas at about 50mbps. I currently use the 4G USB from VZW and I average around 53mbps.

25. Prologue macrumors newbie

Anyone else who thinks otherwise, be realistic.