Verizon: Full Price or Metered Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Sep 2, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I'm a "grandfathered" unlimited data user on Verizon. This has probably been posted prior, but I wanted to re-affirm this point.

Any subsidized upgrades done today with Verizon switch the user from unlimited data (if they have it) to metered data. If the user wants to keep unlimited data they must purchase the phone at full cost.

That blows.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Yep. This is correct.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is most Verizon people will leave their unlimited data plans in order not to pay the full $649 plus tax price for the next iPhone.

4. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to be paying full price unfortunately.

5. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I already switched even though I could have waited. Saves me money with 5 lines, but only 2 of us actually use data. Plus, I can tether my iPad when needed.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks bro.
    I think in general most people won't go for it but there will be some that will pay full price in order to keep the plan.

7. iphone46 macrumors regular

How much data do you use? I too had unlimited data but switched to family share because I only used about 1.5gb a month and no one else on our plan used 1gb and it was actually cheaper for me. But if your not on a family plan, don't switch. Wayyyy to much money for one person.

8. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I personally do not use a lot. I'm on my grandparents plan because they get a service discount through their work.

So its 4 lines, 2 of which are smartphones both on unlimited data. I have access to the account, but for her, knowing that there can be overages is unacceptable. So I literally cannot go on a metered plan.

My sister who is autistic also has no understanding of "limits" especially like cell data usage limits. She uses something like 6GB a month, and it's just a mess.

So instead of scaring people, moving over to a more expensive plan and overall increasing the stress of managing all these limits. I'll just buy my phone at full price, and (hopefully) have unlimited data on the 4G LTE network if the next iPhone has 4G LTE.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I've been saying it for months just wait until people realize how much data they can use on 4 G . The shyt will hit the fan

10. Tortri, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I had asked Verizon your question a few days ago and its exactly as you said but she also made a second point I didn't think about but expect Verizon to do.

MADE A SEPARATE POST ABOUT WHAT I SAID BELOW.
    --
    When your contract runs out, yes your service still continues but Verizon could force you to change your plan, ie share plan.

When she said that my first thought was when is the last day before they got rid of unlimited because when the 2 year mark from that day hits I expect Verizon to force everyone to shared. And the worse part is, what are you going to do about it? Cancel your plan because they changed the terms? Your not on a contract anymore..

Your just sol :-\

July 6 2011 is when they dropped unlimited so July 6 2013 is when everyone should be off of contract from unlimited plans.
    ----------

So true, I've been telling people the same thing as it happen to iPad 3 users.

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you use 6GB or less without tethering then it is cheaper to go with the share everything. If you use 12GB or less with tethering it is cheaper to go with the share everything plan. If you surpass the GB for either scenario then keeping unlimited is he best choice - depending on how you buy the phone.

I sold my 4S for $500 and the difference to get me to an unsubsidized iPhone 5 is worth it to me. But I don't pay for home Internet and I tether all the time. They had to know people would use unlimited with unlimited tethering - they still allow you to add unlimited tethering to your plan today when you have LTE unlimited.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you can handle paying the initial investment for slightly cheaper service then go for it.

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I really hope Tmobile's refarm is fast enough for around the new iPhones launch.

Truly unlimited data for cheap will make the big two carriers rethink a little bit I hope.

14. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Ugh, I think about this far too often.

I stream iheartradio, spotify or pandora 40+ hours a week at work through my phone. I just cant lose unlimited... I also cant talk my wife into paying full price for the iPhone 5.

The only solution I can think of is divorce.

15. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Start saving your pennies

16. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

well I switched to share everything after I upgraded my router at home and after researching how much data on average we used over the last 6 months it worked out great. Has save me over 100 a month

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    They need a good push.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Churn is what will make them think. As long as customers think they only have 2 choices for US carriers then the big two really won't care.

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Teather is free with shared plan on Verizon?

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

my 2 year contract with unlimited data won't be up until June of 2014? So if they kick me off unlimited before then they will be changing the terms of my contract thus allowing me to drop them without paying etf

21. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

We're paying $200 a month for 2 dumbphones and 2 smartphones on their old plans. On the new ones with 3GB of data, it is more expensive, like $230. Explain to my how it is cheaper.

22. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

I found a way to get a subsidized phone and keep unlimited data. I tried it out on a family memeber this week when she upgraded to a GS3. It worked! It's complicated, but worth the trouble.

23. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

PM me? Care to share?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For most people they're not cheaper.
    To some that use less data it can save them a few bucks but go over the limit and you're paying for it.

25. alent1234 macrumors 603

And how many people will pay just for data?