Verizon Gives Internet Customers Free WiFi - Unless You Use a Mac or iPhone...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Looks like Verizon is giving all their internet subscribers that aren't on bottom-tier plans free WiFi ala AT&T/Cablevision, but it's Windows-only: no iPhones, no Macs, no nothin'.

LINK

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Pfft. I shake my head to this. They'll get business but not nearly as much if it was open to everyone... Someone will figure out a workaround, probably.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

One workaround is to dual boot into Windows. :p

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

This is becoming a dangerous idea that needs to stop because soon you will have the Microsoft mac team saying if you want Office just dual boot, or Adobe saying if you want Photoshop you can just dual boot.

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I know nothing about dual booting, but wouldn't that make the computer work twice as hard, draining your computer's battery twice as fast?

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The article doesn't mention this, but I wonder if they will be coming out with a Mac version of the software? Maybe the company that Verizon is purchasing was a Windows based company only.

Also, "F" dual booting. I agree with others.... Bring us a Mac counterpart, I don't want to have to use Windows to do things like check email, use photoshop etc.......

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Ugh... annoying since I have FiOS. Let's hope they bring out a Mac version of the app or employ a better system so that all devices can use the free Wifi.

8. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Well here in the UK every company that offers this has a login home page that you can enter something like your account id.

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The day the Microsoft mac team says this will be the day I reply "so you are including a free copy of Windows for me to dual boot into, then?"

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think they meant with Boot Camp, which will act like any other laptop with Windows installed. If you run it via VMWare Fusion or Parallels, you'll only be able to connect using the Windows virtual machine and not OS X anyway so in the end Boot Camp seems the only feasible way.

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

And Virtual PC too right?

12. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

to use a hotspot, you have to install windows only software..
    is this software used simply to connect to the service? or will it act as a browser?
    because if its used simply to connect to the service, ill be able to use parallels to run that program and then use safari/firefox

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Installing software to be able to access a wifi AP is ridiculous. Even for Windows users. :rolleyes:

I don't have FiOS (not available here), but in actuality it does sound kind of useful, because AT&T and T-Mo hotspots (I have access to one via my phone plan and the other via my DSL plan) aren't available in a lot of the kinds of places where Bongo is, and those kind of places actually are places where Wifi is useful (e.g. airports).

14. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

If you set up a network connection in Parallels then you will not be able to use this connection from OSX - the host cannot access networks created on the guest but it does work the other way round.

This page seems to have a variety of downloads available: http://www.boingo.com/download-boingo.php

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hopefully we can run the utility in wine… but of course I don't understand why with my 50/20 service I don't get this WiFi option.

Well they do need some way for you to authenticate in order to bypass the usual landing page used by the AP provider.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure I see why... in most other cases, they just have a sort of roaming partner's drop down, and you pick the provider you have. For instance, this is typically what happens when you visit an AT&T hotspot at Starbucks and you want to log in using T-Mobile. You pick T-Mo and then it tells you, okay, access with a valid T-Mo hotspot account is free (or in some cases, it might say, "xxx users can log in for $4.99/day" or somesuch). Then you provide your credentials. Works fine without software.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Right, but I think Verizon doesn't want folks to know the credentials they're using and as an added bonus they can probably track usage.