Verizon giving away Samsung Nexus and Razor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostbyte32, Feb 27, 2012.

1. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only thing it would point out is: if they are already reducing these down to zero, AND reaching out to people by email to entice them to "buy," then there's probably a reason why they can't seem to move these phones based on their own momentum.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes you will regret it ... saving $200? ... free phones IMO are never going to satisfy like an iPhone :apple:

4. cynics macrumors G4

They are trying to get good customers to upgrade their plans. Apple prices probably don't have enough leeway to give them away. Plus and more importantly Verizon is pushing their LTE pretty hard.

Question for you though? Did you get that email? If not it doesn't matter get an iPhone or whatever.

5. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

You would think I wouldn't be tempted by this crap...Verizon screwed me by convincing me the Droid Eris for $50 was a great deal...they couldn't have paid me enough to take that piece of crap now...

iPhone 4s it is!

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

They want to get rid of the Razor and Nexus. These are now considered old.

One thing to consider. You may never see an OS update for either. You are unlikely to find quality accessories, like a case, for either one and they will likely break within 6 months. Can't begin to tell you how many Android based phones I see falling apart at work.

7. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

They did that to me with the Eris...within 3 months of me buying it and signing a 2 year contract they stopped updates on it.

That is why I am getting the 4s...figure to get as many updates as possible.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

They are clearing out inventory. MWC is this week and quad core phones will probably go on sale around the 3rd quarter or so.

As you already know, there is always a newer android coming out. Verizon loses exclusivity on the Galaxy Nexus in March, so they are probably trying to keep a competitive advantage over Sprint and whoever else gets it

10. cotak macrumors regular

The nexus is a Google phone it's supported by Google. Why do you have to make it sound like its only at the mercy of Samsung that people gets updates?

Why don't you ask how original iPhone and 3g owners where they are getting updates now?

As for the two phones on sale it has no indication for how good they are. Its just what is on sale. Just like if your local market had steaks on sale you don't automatically think mad cow...

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The Nexus One received updates for a good while after its release, so to think another Nexus phone wouldn't receive updates a few months after its release is foolish.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unless it is a 3gs :D

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

The galaxy nexus is a very good phone if you're fine with android.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

The 3G was supported for 3 years with updates after it was released.

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_3G

Not many, IF any Android phone can say that.

15. MacCurry macrumors 6502

The GNex was released with 4.0 and is now on 4.0.2 with 4.0.3 around the corner. Motorola is planning a release of ICS on the Droid Razor in the 2nd quarter of 2012 outside of the US. The problem is the CDMA version of the radio which is proprietary and getting ICS on it. The GNex is Google's development platform and it will get updates, but the CDMA version will be slower.

I'm afraid Android on CDMA is non-starter in the long run.

16. cotak, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

cotak macrumors regular

Sort of missing the point. ALL phone eventually lose support. To wave the bogie man of no updates is foolish.

BTW 3G was not 3 years. 2 Years and a bit. And in reality only 1 major release updated (2 to 3.0 to 4 then EOL just before iOS5). I don't feel that's extremely different from typical support for Android devices. You get updates for that release version you are on. Then it cuts off as they move on unless you are on google's nexus. I say this in the view that you need to consider that Android OS moves at a much faster pace with a lot bigger garden to support. So if you look at the support based on years sure iOS looks better. But if you do versions it's less impressive. However, yes you do get longer for sure. The only problem is sometimes they might as well have no bothered the device gets so slow.

Many older phones androids have community support. There's even a somewhat working ROM for ICS on the G1 the original Android device. Yes it's not really what anyone would call usable but goes to show if one were to solely consider a phone based on using it with updates till it's completely unusable it just might be that the closed systems phones like the iphones will lose.

Also, I want to point out there are many people with perfectly working non-unibody macbook pros are booted out of the iOS eco system because Apple will not support the new itunes on 10.4. Including a good friend of mine who ended up having to sync his new iphone with a PC running windows XP which is older then OS X yet supported with the newest itunes. He was pretty piss especially after he finally decides to upgrade to an MBA and brought just before the refresh.

Note that with Android because it's not a post PC device (in the sense that you don't need to plug it into a PC first before you first use it, and yes apple has done good work to moving beyond the "post PC era" in recent iOS revisions) it actually will work whatever OS you have on your computer.

17. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Didn't the 3G ship with 2.0? so 2.0->3.0->4.0?

18. goMac, Feb 27, 2012

goMac macrumors 603

The Galaxy Nexus is a nice phone. Nice enough to get locked into for two years? Probably not...

Keep in mind, the CDMA version is not considered a developer "Nexus" device because the Galaxy Nexus CDMA drivers are closed source, which makes it harder to flash with a new OS. You're at Google's mercy for new OS updates.

Also make sure you're actually eligible for the deal. It looks like it's only being offered to select people.

19. cotak macrumors regular

Corrected that. It's been soo long since I used the 3G. Near the end of iOS 3 (or was it 4?) I got so frustrated with the lag I got a full price unlocked 4.

I wonder how people can rave about the smoothness of iOS and software support from Apple being big pluses when my experience has never been as positive. You know bugs and all...

The 3G was a bastard child of the i-Device line. It should have never been released with the same internals as the orignal. It only seems great because everything else was worse back then.

20. scaredpoet, Feb 27, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, many supermarkets will slash the price of perishable items on the day they are about to expire. Mad cow? No. But then the Nexus and Droid RAZR aren't (hopefully) going to explode in people's hands. It's just that they're about to "expire" as part of an unsustainably short product cycle.

It's not foolish when you consider how short the lifecycle is for an android device compared to an iOS device. Sure, things get obsolete. But many have argued that phones which can most definitely run Ice Cream Sandwich aren't getting updated to it, for purely arbitrary reasons.

And in reality only 1 major release updated (2 to 3.0 to 4 then EOL just before iOS5).[/quote]

Uhh, I don't now where that math is coming from, but that's three releases: it launched with 2.0, was upgraded to 3.x and then again to 4.x.

And that's far longer than ANY Android device has been supported to date.

And you would be wrong:

[​IMG]

And whose fault is that? It's a garden with lots of weeds, and the phone vendors prefer to let a lot of the flowers and fruit die on the vine in order to keep people buying more phones for the sake of having the latest thing.

I call BS on this because the earliest model Macbook Pro is supported through OS X 10.6.8, and iTunes requires 10.5 or later. Your friend's macbook Pro is most certainly capable of running the latest version of iTunes.

In any case, I find it ironic that you're justifying the short support cycle of android handsets as no big deal, and yet griping (incorrectly) that Apple won't support current iTunes software on a 6-year-old notebook.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know what people are on about the Nexus reaching end of life. It won't be end of life until the next Nexus, and that likely won't be until the end of summer or beginning of fall. The successor to this year's nexus is next years nexus; this works exactly like the iPhone. These phones are just part of a promotion to get more people onto the 4G bandwagon (look who the sale applies to.. those who have never had a smartphone or those who only have a 3G device). I suspect Android handsets, even when they first launch are sold to the Telcos at a vastly reduced price when compared to the iPhone. THAT is why these "sales" are possible.

22. ChazUK, Feb 27, 2012

ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

Nexus One - Shipped: Eclair (2.1) > Froyo (2.2) > Gingerbread (2.3) > EOL.
    Nexus S - Shipped: Gingerbread (2.3) > Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)
    Galaxy Nexus - Shipped - Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)

So far, Nexus devices have been updated rather well IMO and if updates are a priority, they are the only choice for Android.

Another aspect is that much of the core functionality applications have been removed from the firmware and are updated via Android Market across many revisions (Gmail, Maps, Music & Google Search are a few examples of core apps that are updated separately). This makes it a slightly different beast compared to iOS where core functions are only updated through firmware.

I'd stay away from Motorola. Full of broken promises (bootloader unlocking solution that should have happened by end of 2011, still isn't here) and ever changing update plans.

23. cynics macrumors G4

Just to mention Motorola has an unlock able boot loader that is dependent if the carrier will allow it. Verizon doesn't, but there is at least one Motorola device that will.

24. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

They're probably looking to get rid of their RAZR stock since the Maxx has since come out.

Where do you get the idea that the Galaxy Nexus won't get OS updates? It's the phone that is most likely to get updates.