Verizon has me locked down with my unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JTyler82, Sep 11, 2012.

1. JTyler82 macrumors regular

So, I've had unlimited data since forever. I was grandfathered in, but when I got my 4S earlier this year, I temporary went to a Dumb Phone until my 4S came, and when I called to get my unlimited data back, they said the next time I remove a smart phone off my line, I lose my unlimited.

Which really sucks because I wanna sell my 4S to get the 5.

Is there anyway around this? I don't really have the money to get a cheap smart phone off Craig's or anything since I'll be using what I have to get the 5

2. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

You can go buy a cheap smartphone from Craigslist or call Verizon and if you get the right rep, the will put a dummie smartphone esn on the line to keep it open.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Call them again and clarify. Explain the situation. Ask if they can make a temporary exception. If they say no, then dump them. They're already forcing you to buy the next phone at full price so you can keep unlimited.
    There comes a point where you have to decide what you're willing to put up with.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Just get a cheap prepaid phone, like Go Phone, for now.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I thought I read if you want to keep unlimited data with Verizon you'd have to purchase the iPhone 5 at full retail?

As for your dilemma, why not sell the 4S after you get the 5? However, wait 2 months before you sell it so the used iPhone 4S market dries up a bit and you'll get more money for it and you should only lose like $20 that way.

6. wmitch macrumors regular

Uh...

I could be way off base here but seems like you have 2 choices-
    1. Wait to sell the 4S until you have the 5 in hand
    2. Shell out the cash for a cheap smart phone, sell the 4S then once you have the 5, you should get pretty much all your money back out of the other smart phone.

Either way, it will probably come out costing you about the same and either way, you will just have to pull a few extra bucks out of savings up front then put it back once your trans is complete. If you can't do that, maybe you should save for a while before upgrading to the IP5.

Hope that's helpful

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

You could buy a phone from verizon for full retail, then return it and pay the restocking fee when you buy the new iPhone...

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I believe there's been a misunderstanding. Almost everyone on MR forums concurs that the problem arises when one wants to purchased a new smartphone (and thus add it to a line) at the SUBSIDIZED PRICE. Most are saying that if smartphones (read: iPhone 5) are purchased at full retail price, the unlimited data is retained.

P.S. You can always lock-in with Gazelle.

9. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing about this is, They said if I add a Dummy phone on my line at all, then my Unlimited Data is removed and cannot be added back.

I was gonna sell my 4S, and then Preorder with all the money I have saved. whenever that would be. I wasn't planning on going into the store and buying and then selling my 4S. I don't have that much money on hand.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But the catch is if you upgrade to the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price you'll lose your unlimited data anyway with Verizon. The only way around this is to buy your iPhone 5 at full retail.

11. takasugi macrumors regular

Not meaning to sound harsh but if you don't have enough resources (cash, credit card, savings) to float the week or two between buying the iPhone 5 and selling your old iPhone, perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities.

12. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Buy iPhone 5
    Sell iPHone 4S

In that order.

If you can't afford that, probably best to, uh, wait until you have money.

13. andross77 macrumors regular

yeah i think this is the only way. i would wait a little longer and save up enough to buy it outright. taking the risk is not worth losing unlimited LTE with verizon. it's too awesome!

Plus, if you just have 1 credit card for EMERGENCY purposes, you could buy the phone for like $800, that week sell the 4S for like $400 or whatever and then you will have enough to pay it off right away. Credit cards don't charge you the interest until the next months cycle.

Of course if you have to do this, you can't really afford to have the new iphone in the first place, but i'm just saying it's not that hard to figure out a way to buy it retail and keep unlimited. buy yeah, don't put a dumb phone back on your line EVER! :)

14. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Like I said, buy a cheap prepaid phone, sell the 4S, ans use that money plus your savings to buy the new iPhone. Then, go to a Verizon store and set the new iPhone up with your number. Use the prepaid phone in the mean time.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This, people buying things they can't afford is why the economy is in the shape it is.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Did you not read the OP's post at all? :rolleyes:

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Please, please, please, let's not go down this path again. Please? :eek:

18. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I did, what's the problem?

I'm saying use something like a Go Phone with a different phone number and not to to call Verizon until he is ready to move the number over from the 4S to the new iPhone. He's not changing his plan, just the phone type, and besides it's still an iPhone. Yeah, he'll have a different number until then but its either that or lose the unlimited.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, didn't you read that unless you buy the iPhone 5 at full retail, you'll lose the unlimited data with Verizon? The OP is obviously not in a position to afford it at full retail.

20. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh man guys

Seriously, attack someone who's on a limited income to begin with. awesome. I came here for help, not to be reminded that I'm poor.

I appreciate all of your ideas. The only thing wrong with some is the following:

I'm on my Mom's account
    We have max lines
    and I don't have an upgrade. So i'll be paying for the 5 Full price regardless. Not at a discount price.

I don't have the money to buy a used phone at the moment, and then the iPhone 5. my original plan was to use the money I have saved now (which is almost a little more than half of the iP5 depending on price), and sell my 4S to finish what I don't have saved.

I was just wondering, is there anything I could tell Verizon, ask them, etc. so they don't Cut me off of Unlimited if i switch to a Dummy phone until the 5 comes out. but after thinking about things, I think the best thing to do is just sell the day it comes out, and buy the same day.

***EDIT**** I CAN buy the iPhone 5 at full retail, Just have to sell my 4S to afford it. But they told me regardless, if i EVER take a smart phone off my Line again, that i won't be able to get my Unlimited Back when I put another one back on. THAT'S my problem

21. wongulous, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

wongulous macrumors 6502a

It just doesnt jive with what has been the official policy, that you can upgrade your phone 4 ways, 2 of which make no account changes and give no subsidy:

1. Change to share everything
    2. Add per-line data package to grandfathered plan
    3. Pay full retail, unsubsidized and no contract extension
    4. Provide your own equipment (purchase elsewhere, I.e. Apple or eBay)

Edit... if your issue is you need to sell to get cash to buy the 5, yikes... buy a crap android phone like the droid eris for like $20 on eBay or Craigslist?

22. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm aware of it, but is the OP? I read his posts and I take it he knows it will cost him full price, which is why he said he needs to sell his 4S first.

23. 617aircav Suspended

Well put its that simple.

24. wmitch macrumors regular

No one is here to attack you. there is nothing wrong with not having money or with not having the newest toys. What I hear from you is that you are letting your stuff define you. If you do that, you will always be broke. the sooner you get to a point where your financial stability matters more to you than the phone in your pocket, the better.

Define yourself apart from your bank account and cell phone and that stress and anxiety won't consume you. Wait too long to learn this and you will waste your life chasing things that don't matter and miss what does.

25. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Or just get over unlimited data. Get WiFi at home and pay a little more for a data package.

Actually, almost every scenario with 5 people on an account saves money with Share Everything, unless its 2 or less of the lines with smart phones. It makes more sense to get 10gb for $100 than for 3-4-5 lines to pay $30 for 2gb each per line (or unlimited).