Carrier Verizon: How to port a phone number to a UDP line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delmar, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Delmar macrumors 6502

I have a More Everything plan with two lines on it. I need to port one of those numbers to my Nationwide Talk Share UDP line I have on a sub account. I am the account owner on both accounts. Once I port the number over to the UDP line I am going to pay the ETF on the More Everything line. Verizon rep stated that this can not be done due to when I pay the ETF I will lose the phone number I want to keep & port to the UDP line.

Has anyone done this before? How do I make this happen?

2. ag29 macrumors 6502

You need to port to another carrier first, and then port back to Verizon for UDP.

This doesn't mean you have to port to Sprint, T-mobile, or At-t as those would be way too expensive for the switch. Some good options would be Page plus or Google voice. Google voice charges $20 and Page plus might be cheaper.

3. Delmar thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a google voice account that I can use. Do you know if I port the Verizon number to goggle voice before or after I pay the ETF? I would think before.

Thank you for the help.

4. ag29 macrumors 6502

Google voice terminates your Verizon plan as soon as you port your number.

Here is the link to the FAQ. :)
    https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

5. Delmar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much ag29. This is what I needed to know.

Google voice seems simple enough but before I use google I'll check out page plus.

6. ag29 macrumors 6502

Your welcome. Glad to have helped. :) Good luck with your switch!

7. Delmar thread starter macrumors 6502

For anyone that has ported a number out to Google voice, how long did it take to port the number? Google voice instructions state it can take up to 5 business days.