Verizon in store replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LostMyiPhone, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Do they exist?

I don't think so but I figure you guys would know best. If you're having a definate hardware problem with a 3 month old iPhone 5 and you take it into a Verizon corporate store, do they do any replacements in-store or is it all handled through mail?

Closest store is over 30 min away and probably won't get a chance to step away from my desk until later this afternoon to call (that is if I can find the direct number to the retail store and assuming I'd get a straight answer).

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Pretty sure they will just refer you to Apple. What you can do is set up an advanced return with apple and they'll just put a hold on your card until they receive the old phone.

3. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I figured would happen. Do you (or anyone reading) have experience with this? I had to send a device back to Verizon once and it was kind of stressful since they held on to $600-some odd dollars of my money and I sent my old phone back but no tracking info or anything... I wasn't sure if I was going to be "out" $600 until I got confirmation that it was delivered (on a side note, they refunded me all but $53 :confused: and I had to spend an hour or so on the phone with them while they tried to figure out why... never did and gave me my $53 back).

Does Apple operate the same? Is there tracking info on a return device?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There's tracking and signature required for everything with Apple :)

5. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

YAY!

Thanks! I'm getting an advance replacement in the next couple of days through :apple:

bummer about the sleep/wake button though... One would think they would have that under control after so many years... mine's doing the thing where it only works if you press it on the left side and it's becoming more recessed bla bla bla... seems to be a more common issue. Stinks that it's on an otherwise flawless phone.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It is what it is. Millions of these phones are being made and quality is bound to lack. Though I believe the QC of Apple's products has been in decline in recent years.

7. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

It is what it is indeed. I'd like to think it's a QC thing rather than a design implication... If it's QC, hopefully it can be corrected easily by tweaking a part of the manufacturing process. If it were design-related that would take a major overhaul to correct (and in the meantime it could repeat itself).

Oh well, no sense in worrying about something that *might* happen *in the future* that we have no control over!

I do agree though, just from what I've read online it does seem like there are more and more repoirts of issues that are QC in nature.

Thanks for your quick replies!

8. keitarou macrumors 6502

I would suggest you go to Apple store next time. There are some people who had problems where Verizon said the phone that they received were damaged more then when you sent it in and declined to give you your money back. When sending in by mail, you never know what happens and once Verizon gets the phone, you can't even get it back so you will be out of luck. I think the long drive is worth it compared to the problems you might face with Verizon. At least at the apple stores you know you won't have any problems.

9. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I agree, verizon is likely not the way to go when given the option. I have a free advance replacement option through apple because I have AC+ so I went that route.

It doesn't remove the "must send by mail" variable but as ECUPirate pointed out, it sounds like Apple requires signatures and allows tracking of packages along the way!