Verizon, iPhone 4, White iPhone 4, and iPhone 5: What Are You Going To Do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Jan 31, 2011.


What will you be doing?

  1. I'm getting the iPhone 4 on Verizon this Feb

    38 vote(s)
  2. I'm going to wait for the iPhone 5 in July

    28 vote(s)
  3. I'm going to get the iPhone 4, and then sell it, and get the iPhone 5

    11 vote(s)
  4. I'm going to stick with At&t and upgrade this summer

    28 vote(s)
  5. I'm going to stick with At&t and upgrade next summer

    10 vote(s)
  6. I'm getting the iPhone 4 on Verizon, regardless of color, because I'll be using a case

    4 vote(s)
  1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

    Sep 16, 2010
    Southern California
    There are threads about these topics constantly popping up, so I'm hoping that this one will put it all to rest; but I highly doubt it.

    For everyone who is on Verizon or wants to switch to Verizon to get the iPhone 4, I say get it ASAP!

    We've waited 4 years for this, so why continue waiting for the next best phone? I don't think everyone here is ******** money that they can upgrade to a new phone every year, so for those of us who can't, buy it now!

    Why wait for the iPhone 5? It's going to be the exact same body, with some upgrades (ie, 3G to 3GS).

    You want a White iPhone? Are you going to cover it with a case or bumper? If so, why does the color matter than? There are covers, cases, skins, you name it, that will change the appearance of your phone to something special and unique to what you prefer. But, if you plan on using the phone bare naked with nothing covering it, I say wait than. But why risk dropping it and damaging the phone? It's safer to get a case than to wait.

    When it comes to Apple's annual upgrade, we know that they upgraded the iPhone every June/July, so getting it this Feb means that it will be obsolete in 4 months, right? But how do we know that? The June/July upgrade was for At&ts network, so Verizon owners could be seeing an iPhone refresh every Feb.

    There is no point to wait for the new iPhone. Imagine waiting 4 more months, and getting the iPhone 4S/5, and than in 2012, iPhone releases a better phone.

    There is always going to be a better phone, so why keep waiting?

    The way I see it, this phone is going to be on 3G, highly doubtful that this summer the iPhone will be capable on Verizons 4G LTE, so that means you'd have to wait for 2012, which is when the iPhone 5/6 is released.

    Also, it is very much possible that Verizon gets it's iPhone update every Feb. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing.

    Yeah, AT&T owners will be getting it 6 months earlier, but you'll be on the Nations Most Reliable Network. Can't use Data and Voice at the same time?

    Don't worry! That's just on Verizon's CDMA 3G service, next year when iPhone comes to Verizon's 4G LTE network, it will be compatible to use data/voice simultaneously.

    I know I don't have any evidence to back up all the claims I'm making. But some of these threads just baffle me (if you want to bash this, whatever, just giving my 2 cents).

    Threads that ask if you should get the iPhone 4 now or wait. Honestly, get it now! The sooner you get it, the sooner you will be able to upgrade your phone to next big thing.

    The 3G and 3GS shared the same body, and I'm pretty positive that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S/5 will have the same body also. I know that the iPhone 4 has antenna issues, but those are for mostly people who speak with their left hand (The palm touches the gap). I, on the other hand, am right handed, and I will be using a case for my phone to ensure reliable service.

    I've realized that this is mostly a huge rant, but I just wanted to get this off my chest.

    If anyone wants to comment and debate about this, I'm all ears, and will most likely have something to say to whatever it is you'll be arguing for.

    One last note, the iPhone 4 is an amazing product, and personally, I've been using a ****** phone (Samsung Glyde) for almost 2 years, so using a phone that I love and that I know will actually work, is something that I won't be complaining about when getting the iPhone 4. I still have my iPhone 2G, it has some scratches, volume down button doesn't work, most headphones won't work on it cause of it's large size, and 1 speaker is blown out. Other than that, the touch screen is completely responsive, and everything works.

    So honestly, just get the damn phone if you really want it, don't wait, you've waited long enough. I know that I'm getting it this month. :D
  2. digitard macrumors 6502a


    Sep 15, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm ordering the iPhone 4.

    My reasoning is very similar. Yes there are probably going to be some nice performance hardware changes with the iPhone 5, but the big option "LTE" is going to be absent until the summer 2012 release.

    So I'm going to order now, and I wouldn't doubt that Verizon will allow early upgrades in June/July 2012 for early adopters to get into the LTE version. If they don't I still have my wifes upgrade at that point (which will have New Every 2 grandfathered in for a few months past that).

    If for some reason I "have" to have the iPhone 5 on release for some app or whatever then I'll sell my iPhone4 and buy the i5 at retail. With the cash from the iPhone 4 I should be able to get near "contract" price out of pocket once it's all said and done.
  3. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Sep 16, 2010
    Southern California
    It just seems pointless though to get the iPhone 4 now, and a newer one 4 months later.

    I mean, it's going to have the same body, but just better specs (just like 3G to 3GS). But how much better are those specs going to be? Facetime on 3G? Verizon doesn't allow that, and you'll have to wait for the LTE version next year.

    I don't see any reason for me to wait 4 more months, I've waited 4 years. Also, as much as I want the White iPhone 4, I'm going to use a case to protect it, and I plan on getting this:

    it's white, red, and involves Japan (i love Sushi and Lexus, and NO, I am not Asian, fyi).

    So yeah, I'm getting it asap. :D
  4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I'm sticking with AT&T, and I won't upgrade until 2012.
  5. gta50419 macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2010
    Getting iphone 4 for AT&T by the end of the week.
  6. eastercat macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I'm waiting for AT&T in 2012. I don't like CDMA and white is fugly.
  7. lafemmme macrumors newbie

    Jun 9, 2009
    Bought my iPhone 4 back in July, if the specs wow me enough I'll probably sell and purchase the 5 at retail. My phone is currently unlocked so I'm hoping I'll get high offers. I'm going after that white iPhone 5 of course. ;)
  8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

    Austin M.

    Jul 29, 2010
    My plan:

    •Sell iPhone 4 on eBay.
    •Buy iPhone 5 on Verizon, maybe in white.
  9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040


    Apr 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have 3 iP4's and one 3GS, we are staying with AT&T not going anywhere hate Verizon left them nearly 2 years ago will never go back.

    Waiting to see what the new iPone will be like before I make a decision to upgrade, but I am sure my older son will replace his 3GS with either a new iPhone 5 or maybe even the 4, we will see not in any rush.
  10. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a


    Jan 21, 2009
    Nothing could stop me from getting the iPhone on Verizon next week. Even if I knew that the phone would be getting an update in two months, my decision would still be the same.
  11. richpjr macrumors 68030


    May 9, 2006
    I'm getting one in Feb and am lucky enough to have another line eligible for an upgrade in May. If they do come out with something substantial this summer, I'll pass the iPhone 4 to the wife and get the new one. If not, I'll stick with the 4 until the LTE phone comes out.
  12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603


    Jun 30, 2008
    Yeah...I'm also really curious what word is being censored here.

  13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    May 27, 2009
    It won't be obsolete come June. It will just be $100 cheaper. There is not doubt a iPhone 5 (4s - whatever) is coming out in June for ALL carriers.

    Verizon does not want to be 6 months behind ATT in new hardware. That means they would have an iPhoen 4 at $199 and $299 and ATT would have an iPhone 5 at $199 and $299. Ideally they would want to move the iPhone 4 to $99 and get the iPhone 5 at $199 and $299.

    This is why they are doing a mid cycle release and not waiting till June. This gives them 4/5 months to get a good chunk of their existing customers on the iPhone and then in June with the iPhone 5 and the same price points as ATT start getting some of their customers to move over.
  14. david.hersey macrumors newbie


    Feb 2, 2011
    Taking a walk on the Android side until 2012

    I love my iPhone. I'm an app developer. I have an iPad, iPod, and several iPhones.

    That said, I can't deal with the compromises needed to stay loyal.

    Apple is essentially asking us to either:

    1) Stay put and deal with lousy service on AT&T (I have a cheap verizon phone I use to make phone calls that matter)

    2) Switch to CDMA and deal with lack of voice/data concurrency

    They've not given us any other kind of roadmap here! Meanwhile Verizon HAS an LTE network that WILL have smartphones running at the end of February something we KNOW the capabilities of -- Android!

    Of course Apple MIGHT release the iPhone 4g/5/4s/whatever in kind of july-ish and it COULD run LTE or just HSPDA+. We MIGHT wait until Feb or July 2012 to get LTE on Verizon, or AT&T, or both ... or neither!

    It's a crapshoot, and the functional differences between a properly tweaked Android phone (yes, it's like windows ... comes with crap but you can make it good) and an out-of-the box iPhone are not that significant anymore.

    At the end of the day, do I want an apple logo or do I want to be able to make phone calls, use it as a FAST (faster than my cable modem) wifi hotspot, and in general have a great phone that works everywhere? And I do I want it next month or next year?

    Most of all I want Apple to step up and let us know what their plans are/aren't. This guessing game is no way to make decisions.

    Tired of the rumor mill, looking for results...

  15. Geffen macrumors 6502

    Sep 23, 2007
    I'm going to get my iphone 4 on Verizon by doing a pre order tonight. I noticed several people saying their going to hold out for the iphone 5 but i just can't wait that long, besides i'm sure the 4G LTE cost will be a bit more than the 3G plans.
  16. SonoViva macrumors 6502


    Jun 8, 2010
    I think it's *****ting.
  17. SonoViva macrumors 6502


    Jun 8, 2010
    Wow I even used a dollar sign for the S. Well it's a synonym for poop.
  18. Certinfy macrumors 6502a


    Jan 29, 2011
    Waiting for the iPhone 5, can't justify getting an iPhone 4 now while there are several other new dual core processor phones that interest me.
  19. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

    Dec 11, 2010
    Where's the option togo with a next gen Android device and dump the dated and stale iPhone.
  20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    May 13, 2010
    Is this even a serious question? You gotta be serious AT&T hater and jerk to get that Verizon iphone 4 that doesn't even support both voice and data. What? Verizon promises to add that function? Big deal... They are promising, but they can just delay if they want. It is not out.

    iPhone 5 is due in June/July. That's less than 5 months away. Why in the world would I buy an iphone after half of cycle? Call quality? No. AT&T ain't perfect, but Verizon isn't that much better either in my area.

    Just watch and what these Verizon iphone 4 buyers will say when apple launches brand new iphone in summer. There will be no generous upgrades. You are going to keep that CDMA phone for 2 years while other phones get LTE, HSPA+ and 4G network. Enjoy.
    No way, I will jump into Verizon CDMA iphone 4. It is not designed from the ground up. It is redesigned from GSM phones. No thanks.
  21. shikari89, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

    shikari89 macrumors member


    Dec 11, 2010
    As much as I dislike my droid x and its daily reboots, I think I will be waiting for the upgrade. The droid bionic is tempting, but I will be buying iPhone regardless.
  22. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

    Sep 20, 2007
    Hey this poll is missing the "I'm not gonna do crap" option.
  23. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

    Dec 11, 2010
    The poll is missing, plan to sell my iPhone4, and get a better smartphone ( Android ).
  24. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Smart thing to do? Wait for the iPhone 5 or whatever the next iPhone will be called, this summer.
    But if you have enough money, then go right ahead, do as you please.

Share This Page