Verizon iPhone 4s lost/stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lbjandai, Jul 17, 2012.

1. lbjandai macrumors member

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for Verizon for awhile, neither is a family member. I was thinking of buying a used iPhone off craigslist, as long as its Verizon can they just switch my number over to my newly acquired iPhone?

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Yes. Make sure the ESN is clean to be activated on before buying. A good thing to do is meet the person at the Verizon store and have them activate it on your account first BEFORE you fork over cash.

3. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

thanks chris. I did some reading and it said exactly what you said.

One other question, it was my understanding that the AT&T and Verizon iPhones were exactly the same. But I guess they are locked to their networks... so I'd have to buy a Verizon iPhone if I don't buy an unlocked one, correct?

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Well it depends on which iPhone you want.

The iPhone 4 had a CDMA version which works on Verizon ONLY and a GSM version that can be unlocked to use on GSM networks (not Verizon).

The iPhone 4S has a CDMA International version which has a SIM card slot that can be used with international SIM cards only.

In your case, since you are on Verizon, just make sure no matter which you choose (4 or 4S), that it is the Verizon version.

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

If I were to buy a used iPhone, any used smartphone for that matter, at the very least I would want the original box with matching numbers, if it's a good deal. I would pay more for one with the original sales receipt (with matching numbers) supplied. Without either I probably won't even consider it now.

I just listed my 4S for sale with matching box and original sales receipt.

6. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

do you guys know if i can transfer over applecare plus from my old iPhone to the new one?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can only transfer Apple care if the phone you are transferring it to was purchased within the last 30 days (basically meaning it is still within the return period).