Verizon iPhone 4s - Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Augustine864, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Augustine864 macrumors regular

Hi,

I would like to get a friend's Verizon iPhone 4s unlocked as we are studying overseas and she would prefer to use that rather than one of the lousy Samsung galaxy peapod things they sell at Italy's Wind store (the carrier).

I unlocked my phone, and a roommate's, through an unlock service on ebay for $5 but those were AT&T. I cannot find a similar service for Verizon and when I do it is much more expensive.

What do I not understand about the Verizon variant? How can I go about doing this?

2. kiish macrumors member

When you say your phone, do you mean your iPhone?

If not, only your carrier (Verizon) and push an unlock update to Apple servers. There are unlock companies doing it for $xx-xxx. Unfortunately don't know any US companies but others here will who do it with good reputation.

3. Augustine864 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I meant my iPhone and another friend's iPhone, sorry about that.

So why are unlock services for AT&T iPhones so prolific on eBay and not Verizon?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

They're not common because you can call Verizon and get them to unlock the phone for use with an international SIM if it's on a Verizon account that is in good standing.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Yes, and they will send you an e-mail detailing how to make it work overseas. I took a trip to England in June and it was no problem to make it work on the "3" network.