Verizon iPhone 5 Cellular usage shows Tether Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by traderlucky, Sep 25, 2012.

1. traderlucky macrumors newbie

The thing is, I don't tether and I haven't set up the native personal hotspot or used any tethering apps. I'm afraid Verizon will automatically slap me with a tethering data plan (I have unlimited data right now).

For what it's worth, the data shows only a few MB of usage. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

2. black743 macrumors 6502

This is happening for me too. I called Verizon and they showed no hotspot or tethering. It seems to be a bug. Mine is counting all my data as tethering and none as cellular...very strange.

I think the usage counter has developed a mind of it's own.

3. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

4. black743 macrumors 6502

This is funny. I had 8mb of data showing as tethered and 58kb as cellular. I made a call and checked after I hung up and they swapped. Now I have 8mb on cellular and 58kb on tethered.

Umm, the counters don't reset unless you reset them and they switched places all by themselves. It seems that the count varies between the two for no reason. Mine even sometimes counts when I'm on wifi, even though Verizon shows no such data usage. Looks like a fix for iOS 6.01.

Haha, dr jeckel counters now!!!

----------

Oh by the way guys...PLEASE call Apple and let them know about this. Mine was the first call they had. They need more people to tell them about it so it moves up on the list and it gets fixed.

Just tell them you need to report a bug.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I noticed the same thing, random amounts of data mixed between cellular and tether even though I have never tethered anything.

I did a network reset to fix wifi issues I was having and also reset the cellular data stats and now the tether section in that screen is not even there any longer.

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

How did you keep your unlimited plan? Were you able to buy it at full price in store?

7. beckyh macrumors newbie

me too

My new iphone 5 is doing the same thing. I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon (they are telling me it's not happening), but it's showing up under my usage as "Tether Data". It even goes up when I'm just talking on the phone.

I also have contacted Apple regarding this, and they told me they have not heard of this happening. I took it for a genius appointment, they worked on it for a long time (resetting, etc.), but could not figure out why it was doing that.

They proceeded to give me a new iphone to hopefully fix the problem. Same thing is happening on my new one.

Contacted Verizon again saying it must be a problem on their end, but they say it's not and are not helpful at all.

Not happy- have just been keeping cellular network off because the tethering is eating all my data even though I don't even have a hotspot set up!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You guys are just trying to cheat the system, if your going to tether stop lying and trying to scam the system and pay for it already sheesh.

9. beckyh macrumors newbie

Um... this is just a dumb comment.