Verizon iPhone 5 - Excessive Data Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nick521, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Nick521 macrumors member

Hello - I know this question has come up before, but I have not seen any threads recently and am wondering if anyone can help.

I upgraded one of my lines from a 4s to a 5 (right before the 5c and 5s were released). This line previously used about .5 GB data per month. In the first 10 days since I had the 5, Verizon is reporting this line used 2.3 GBs and the phone itself says 150 MB.

Can anyone explain what is going on and how to fix this? I understand that LTE uses more data than 3G, but not 5x the amount of data. I've called Verizon and Apple and nobody is helping.

Thanks!

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I experienced a similar situation a few days ago, although it was with a 5S. I was sitting at work, where I can't use my phone, and I got a text alert that I was at 75% of my data limit. I didn't think too much of that although it's never happened before. But then an hour later I got another alert that I was at 90%. Again, this while I'm at work not using my phone. I called Verizon a couple hours later and spoke to a very helpful rep. Basically he told me that it was showing a high total data usage but the incremental data totals throughout the days didn't seem to add up. They gave me an extra GB for free and since my data total seems about right.

3. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Tony. I've spoken to a few different reps at Verizon and I can't seem to get anywhere with them. I think I will speak to a supervisor.

Anyone else have any input?

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Did you do the ios update using LTE instead of wifi? When you got the phone did you turn off update apps using LTE?

5. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this info. I did the iOS update using wifi. I did not know I can turn off update apps using LTE. I will do that now.

Anything else?

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Under settings, itunes and app store. scroll to bottom and toggle off Use Cellular Data to disable automatic updates for downloads, itunes match and itunes radio over cellular.

7. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Ios requires wifi for os updates

8. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. Could this be an error with how Verizon is reporting data? Why does the phone say 150 MB and Verizon says 2.3 GB?

I ordered 3 iPhone 5s', but if I am going to have these same problems, then I may just cancel them and stick with the 4s.

9. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

iMessage uses data also, not sure if you can text at work.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I believe in this one instance for me it was an error on Verizon's part. This problem for me happened on Monday. That was the day I got the 75% usage alert and the 90% alert a short time apart. I'm now at 94.6%. Seems odd that in a matter of hours, or perhaps one day, I supposedly used 15% of my data but in the three full days since I've used 4.6%.
    It could be a lot of things but I think this was definitely some kind of error on Verizon's part and is definitely worth calling them about. Have you had any luck getting through to a supervisor? Also, for what it's worth I don't think this is an iPhone 5S or iOS 7 problem. In my case it seems to be an isolated incident and has been resolved.