Verizon iPhone 5 is god awful

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Charlesvania, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Charlesvania macrumors newbie

I live in Louisville KY, an area that's covered by Verizon's LTE (the main reason I switched from AT&T), and the service is 10 times worse than AT&T. Not only is the coverage worse than AT&T but its also slower.

If I'm lucky, ill manage to get maybe 2 bars of LTE, then once I start loading data, it just quits and reverts to Verizon's 3G which is extremely slow. I almost never get 5 bars of 3G, usually 3 most, and since Verizon is so slow, I might as well just get out some books and look up the information at the local library.

But seriously, a speed test of the 3G was barely 1 mb, whereas AT&T had 5 bars and was making 7 Mbps on 3G. So what the hell is wrong with my phone? Is it the service being falsely advertised? Is my phone defective? What gives? Or am I just a dumb consumer...

** also I know Verizon's 3G was bad, but when you don't get LTE, when the map clearly says you're covered, it's kinda rediculous

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wouldn't this be more of a Verizon problem than an iPhone problem? Just sayin'.

3. Po1soNNN macrumors newbie

Has nothing to do with your phone. Service is just probably bad in that area. You have to find out which carrier has the best service in your area. It usually tends to be Verizon because they have the most service and LTE in the US. So look up which carrier is best in your area.

Also the bars have nothing to do with data. The bars are an indicator for 1x-RTT which is the protocall used for SMS and calling.

4. forza1976 macrumors regular

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Sounds like a hardware issue. I'd say get your iPhone 5 replaced at the Genius Bar. My friends in Louisville also use Verizon iPhone 5's and they said their LTE is awesome and fast. Before getting yours replaced, try restoring your phone on iTunes to see if that fixes anything.

6. darster Suspended

Have you tested LTE around town or just one location? If you only get 2 bars, you are on the edge of LTE and you likely are being dumped to 3G which on Verizon is very very slow. Are you in your basement or below ground level in your house? I dont believe its your phone. I have a razr maxx and at home get 1 to 2 bars LTE and will flip over to 3G when i move to certain parts of the house.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

On another note I'm loving ATT LTE

This is on launch day in Palo Alto:

[​IMG]

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

As a long time Android user testing out the iPhone 5 before buying a Galaxy Note 2 you can't blame the phone (any phone) on carriers poor coverage. If you don't like Verizon switch.

9. jumpmandds macrumors regular

10. Charlesvania thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies for the misleading thread name, I meant Verizon Service

----------

I guess I'll have to wait on the genius bar idea, I'm sure they are busy beyond belief :( but im going to go ahead and restore my phone as see if that fixes anything. A bunch of my friends (the ones who talked me into Verizon) have perfect service with the 4S, so it baffles me

----------

Haven't been downtown yet. Been in some different locations where my friends get full bars and i get 1 or 2, so I'm starting to think my phone is having some issues haha. Indoors and Outdoors doesnt change anything for me. I would post a speed test but my phone is being restored at the moment. With 2 bars of LTE it was getting 25 mbps which is pretty nice, but it only rarely gets LTE, so yea :(

11. SR71 macrumors 68000

Actually, if you go to the Genius Bar and just walk right up and tell them your issue, they might just fix it right then and there. I didn't have an appointment and just walked in to get my iPhone 5 replaced because it was dented in the box upon arrival, and walked right up to the Genius Bar with no appointment and told them of the issue and they fixed it and I left with a new iPhone 5 in 20 minutes.

12. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

I live in Louisville and, although there are some down spots just like any cell service, I have found Verizon to constantly show full or almost full bars when driving around Louisville since I received the phone Friday. I have been to Bardstown Road both downtown and Fern Creek and all along Dixie Highway and also downtown. Other than a small section on Preston near Gene Snyder, I had at least 4 bars LTE the entire time.

Get your phone checked out at Apple Oxmoor.

13. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

was it from the white box i keep hearing about that has replacement units? not that I care im just curious cause I have a VERY small dent on the bottom back n its bugging me but u can barely see it

14. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

You are within your return window so it should be a brand new unit in a white/black box. Make sure you bring your box, earpods, charger, and cable with you.

15. drkryn macrumors member

I'm in the process of switching from Verizon to AT&T. Verizon's 3G is very slow in the areas that I frequent and LTE is nothing to brag about in those areas either.

In some cases my girlfriends speeds are faster on HSPA+ with AT&T than I get with LTE

16. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I'm on Verizon and getting great LTE. I'd visit a local VZW and try a new sim first before making and hasty decisions

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

well at least you aren't referencing a publication like this:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/06/pr2011-06-21e.html

...over one year later and it's fals false false false.

I assumed based on their maps and this article that I had 4G LTE in my area (at home). I don't care as much just cause when I'm in my home city I'm at home on wifi (25mbps) but it would be nice to have like they say I should.

The true test will be at work on Monday.

If I can't get a strong LTE signal at work, it's almost pointless to have this phone at this time.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

It was a brand new unit in a small white box.

19. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Replacement units do not come in a new box as if you just bought it. They come in a plain white box that just has data on the outside so they make sure they give you the right model. These boxes double as the return box for Apple to send it back to be repaired.

The only exception I have seen where you can get a brand new unit in a brand new "off the shelf' box so to speak is if you buy it from the Apple store in person then return it to that same Apple store in person the same day.

I know that is the policy at the two Apple stores I frequent and would expect it is the same corporate wide.

20. iAco macrumors regular

21. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

title should say "verizon is god awful"

not the iPhone

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Unfortunately if you are in Verizon "extended LtE area". You may have to suffer with 3G/LTE switching of data for the next 6-9 months. When I got my Verizon galaxy nexus last December the phone could barely hold an LTE signal and switched to CDMA all the time.

Thinking the gnex was the problem. When I got the Verizon LTE iPad in March. Even with the iPad great antenna still only had 1-2 bars if LTE and still switched to CDMA 30% of time.

Now it's September 2012. I am constantly 4-5 bars if Verizon LTE with my iPad.

I live in Central Florida Orlando area big suburb 15 north of Orlando. Verizon has had LTE service essentially since Jan 2011. So it's been here for a while. So it's improved a lot the past 9-10 months for me in the suburbs.

In the mean time. I also have att service. Att launched LTE in Sept 2011. I have been through a lumia 900, S3, and now iPhone 5 with att LTE. For some reason I find att LTE service stronger and more widespread than Verizon.

So hang tight. That's all I can recommend. Verizon will improve their service. They promised to map their entire CDMA coverage with LTE by end of Dec 2013. And I believe them n

23. Charlesvania thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been around Prospect/Goshen, St. Matthews, and around Springhurst and my signal has been poor in all locations. Sometimes LTE will pop up for a second, but then it disappears and goes to 3 bars on 3G.

Haven't been to bardstown road yet, should probly go down there and check it out

----------

Yeah I'll most likely do that tomorrow and see if it fixes anything, hopefully it will

----------

My AT&T iPhone 4 has faster speeds with 1 or 2 bars than my new Verizon phone gets with full bars (rarely ever gets 5 bars). If the solutions listed by others and Verizon don't work, I will most likely switch back to AT&T. Forgive me wallet...

----------

I hope so dude, thanks! Otherwise back to AT&T I go!! haha

24. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Yea, I don't know about that. Even though it's a pain, but I just got tethering working with iRandomizer. (It's been removed from the App Store ages ago.)

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Holy Crap dude, best I can get in central New Jersey is 21mbps, however I am not complaining, lte is a battery killer