Verizon iPhone 5 issue switching between 1x(little circle) and 3G/LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bina12834, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bina12834 macrumors regular

I noticed that when i am in an area that i only get 1x/GPRS (the little circle next to the signal bars) like the subway system here in Washington DC or in an elevator, when i exit (ie. get above ground from the subway or out of the elevator) it takes the phone a min or 2 to get 3G or LTE signal. Is this normal for it to take a little bit to get 3G or LTE signal back?

With my AT&T iPhone 4 i immediately got 3G signal back as soon as i stepped out of the elevator or when i was on the escalator on the way above ground from the subway.

2. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. BishamonX macrumors member

It's normal... it's a CDMA thing.

5. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

kind of annoying since i now have to wait a min or 2 to get my iHeartRadio app going, but i guess ill have to learn to deal.

6. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

i'm having that problem as well. I have shut LTE off to try to help the battery and when it should be getting a 3G signal it is often in the 2G (circle mode) more than 3G. I don't understand why. It seems as if the 3G reception is worse than with my iPhone 4. It went to the circle sometimes but not as often as this is.

7. waicool macrumors newbie

I've gotten into the habit of turning on airplane mode for 10 seconds and then turning it off. it'll kick start the signal refresh and bring you up to 3G if its available.

8. jester0723 macrumors regular

If I toggle LTE off and then back on in the Cellular settings, it will stay on 3G often until I toggle Airplane mode on and off. Then it can find the LTE again.

What gives?

9. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

maybe this will all be addressed in an update.