Verizon iPhone 5 LTE overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fontane, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I've seen threads discussing the the various LTE frequencies and who in the U.S. is capable with other countries.

My question is, if I have verizon unlock my iphone 5 and I take it overseas, I can pop in a sim on any CDMA or GSM network and it will work for voice. Is this also true for data?

Put more specifically, if I am in a country that does not have the same LTE frequency as Verizon does that mean I cannot get data with a local sim, or does it simply mean I cannot surf at the higher LTE speed?

2. stevedusa macrumors regular

ONLY with GSM networks. CDMA is fixed with Verizon and you can't use it as a local CDMA phone when you are overseas.

As for oversea's LTE network, the A1429 CDMA model does support more bands but that doesn't mean the local carrier overseas will support it.

3. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

That's not true, there are local CDMA networks overseas you can connect to. There many not be many, but they do exist. Israel, Hong Kong, (formerly New Zealand) Canada, Mexico, South America, Caribbean, etc.

4. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

So if I'm in a country with GSM that does not support the A1429, will I be able to get data with a local sim? Or just voice?