Verizon iPhone 5 slow to acquire LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Sep 26, 2012.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

Hi - I've seen numerous threads about the lag on Verizon waiting for LTE to kick in, but I don't think what I'm experiencing is the same thing. I'm in NYC by the way. My phone takes FOREVER, literally 2-3 minutes, to switch from 3G to LTE service. Airplane mode cycle does the trick and it acquires LTE instantly, but if you let it acquire it on its own (say I was in the elevator, no service, then come out...it will pick up 3G right away, but take a few minutes to realize theres LTE and switch to that) it takes forever. Is this happening to anyone else?

2. stantough macrumors newbie

Well I'm having the same problem. I'm not from USA, so I am not using Verizon or ATT.

But the problem occurs over here too. Everytime I get out of an elevator, I get either 2G or 3G signals, and it takes forever to get into LTE mode. In fact, I have left the phone alone for 20 minutes, and when I look at it, it is still in 3G. However, toggling airplane mode brings it to LTE within 20 seconds.

I'm hoping this is a software fault instead of being sold a faulty device. In any case, we are not alone:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1449936

3. darster Suspended

It happens on my Razr Maxx when signal gets weak. It will switch over from 4G to 3G and remain on 3G until I get a much stronger signal or I switch back and forth from airplane mode. I think its just the nature of the beast. When signal drops to a certain -dBm it will stay 3G until it gets back up to a certain -dBm before it switches back to 4G.