Verizon iPhone 5 still using LTE on Wifi

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Is this still happening to anyone else? When my iPhone 5 is asleep, it returns to LTE. But as soon as awake the screen, it's back on Wifi. The carrier updated (13.1) was supposed to fix LTE usage, wasn't it?

So every time I get an email, an iMessage, etc, while the phone is asleep, it uses LTE instead of Wifi.

Is this happening to others?

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Is this still happening to anyone else? When my iPhone 5 is asleep, it returns to LTE. But as soon as awake the screen, it's back on Wifi. The carrier updated (13.1) was supposed to fix LTE usage, wasn't it?

So every time I get an email, an iMessage, etc, while the phone is asleep, it uses LTE instead of Wifi.

That's working as intended. The fix was intended to correct issues where, ex. Streaming pandora, it would switch to LTE rather than wifi.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

Mine does the same thing. Not sure if it's actually using data but I see it switch back to wifi when I wake it.

srcampana

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Is this still happening to anyone else? When my iPhone 5 is asleep, it returns to LTE. But as soon as awake the screen, it's back on Wifi.
This is normal and has been for a while (since iPhone 4 at least). People here have stated that through "Apple Magic" it somehow uses wifi when iMessages come through due to an instant on feature or something. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.