Verizon iPhone 5 switching between LTE and 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfreeze, Sep 27, 2012.

1. tfreeze macrumors newbie

So here's the issue: I live in an area with Verizon LTE coverage, and my phone can't seem to choose between LTE and 3G most of the time. For example, I'll be using my phone, it shows LTE in the status bar, data speeds are fast, etc., then I'll put it down for a minute and when I pick it up again, it's on 3G with no way to force it back onto LTE. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, except that I usually have 1-2 bars more on 3G instead of LTE. Is it normal to have it switch between 3G and LTE when you're in an area with LTE service if the 3G signal is better? Or is this a software/hardware glitch?
    Also, is anyone else experiencing something like this?

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I've notices the same thing. Seems to be a lot of wifi issues in ios6 so maybe it's a software radio issue. Hopefully it is addressed soon

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I only see the switch if I move from one area to another. Manly if I go in an elavator or basement.

4. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Honestly this was (and likely still is) an issue with Android LTE phones as well. As I recall the issue had to do more with handing off from CMDA to LTE (GSM) and back again and it wasn't always efficient or handing off correctly.

I thought this had been resolved with the newer phones and radio firware updates. Possibly Apple needs to tweak a few things, that is a bit normal.

5. dmb499 macrumors regular

I've been having this issue as well. Very annoying when traveling on the train to work since LTE drops off a lot. This has to be more widespread.

6. theanimala macrumors 6502

I'm with you dumb bastards, same thing happens with my phone as well. I also noticed that 3G has one or two bars of higher signal strength then LTE.

7. dmb499 macrumors regular

Happy to report that my phone just switched to 3G on the train and my radio stream is going strong. Get your phone replaced by apple. Worked for me.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I get 5 bars everywhere then again I have an big external antenna and Cellular Amp;)