Verizon iPhone 5 will not be a World Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calipad, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Calipad Suspended

Calipad

I just talked to Apple and unlike the Verizon iPhone 4s (both CDMA & GSM) the Verizon iPhone 5 will be CDMA only (no longer a world phone).

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Looking at the specs, it doesn't look like ANY of the models will truly be a "world" phone- all 3 will be different.
    The two GSM models will support LTE, HSPA+, and DC-HSPA, but they do so on different bands for different carriers. So you will need to purchase in accordance with where your home carrier is AND where your travel takes you the most- IF that's a possible combination.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Hmm? The specs indicate the Verizon version supports all the 3G bands, the international LTE bands, and the Verizon LTE bands. If anything, the Verizon version is the closest to being a world phone.

I just wish Verizon's new plans didn't suck so badly. I was completely set on switching until those new plans came into effect.

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Yeah, the Verizon version is the closest to a world phone. Really, all it is missing international LTE but I don't think that will matter to many people.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do international LTE... the VZW version has all the same bands (and more) that the international version has.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I think rep is misinformed. Verizon seems to be all for those global ready phones. They will most likely allow the use of the sim card internationally as we have now, and lock it so you cannot use U.S GSM carrier's.

7. phillypharm macrumors regular

nope. verizon/sprint's iphone 5 works only on lte for the US and japan

at&ts only in the US and canada

and the last model is for germany/uk/australia/korea/japan/singapore/hong kong

see here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

kinda lame but on a bright now, it works on all "3g" networks worldwide

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Again, I don't see why the verizon one wouldn't work on all international LTE carriers if you can get it unlocked. It has all the same bands as the international GSM version. There's no reason it wouldn't work.

Verizon, Sprint, and that Japanese carrier will be the only ones that sell that particular model, since their the only CDMA/LTE iPhone carriers. But just like with the 4S, it should be able to work on worldwide GSM networks.

I'm also hoping Apple sells the CDMA versions unlocked and carrier free, since LTE phone use SIM cards

9. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

From Apple's LTE site, but yeah, it doesn't make sense.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If it doesn't work, it's an artificial lockout... hopefully it'll work fine though. Won't know 'til someone gets a Verizon version and travels to an LTE country though I suppose.

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

H+ should work on international carriers. So you're looking at a limitation on LTE only.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Is it not a world phone, or simply not a world-LTE phone?

13. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

In the notes on the bottom of that linked apple site...

Sounds like if you get the Verizon model unlocked it'll work on for international LTE as well.

14. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

In all honestly we're really worrying about something that won't even matter for another 3 years. Most countries are just starting to build out their networks and most of those countries already have the HSDPA which has support for up to 42mbps. All 3 models have the HSDPA support.

We're basically wining over a very little part of this device. We'll have bought the iphone 6S before these countries have saturated their place with enough 42+mbps speeds.