Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have been reading various topics but have yet to find a definitive answer.

I am planning on buying the 5s flat full price. I am going to be using it on AT&T and want to know if I will have the same data speeds and battery life with the Verizon version as the AT&T version...

I mainly just want the Verizon version so that it is unlocked... (If I'm not mistaken)

Also, do I have to be a verizon customer to buy a verizon phone at full price?

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
There are 2 models of the iPhone 5s for the United States. One will work on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. The other is for Sprint (and Japan). If u get the unlocked Verizon model it should work with an AT&T Sim. I believe AT&T should sell unlocked versions as well.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1637205/

If you buy a Verizon iPhone 5S/5C = It will work on All GSM Networks + Verizon and can be flashed to other CDMA Networks! except Sprint because Verizon & Sprint do not allow phones purchased from other carriers on their network = IMEI/ESN must be from a pre-approved or iPhone sold by the respective carrier.

Now a Sprint iPhone 5C/5S = Great but cannot be used in USA (Domestic) because of the way sprint unlocking policy works...making the phone a crippled Worldphone...that is only good for international Use/Outside of United States

So those of you that are confused or want to know which phone to buy at full retail price?

1) Verizon iPhone 5S/5C = True world phone with flexibility of using it on a CDMA Network (Access All GSM Networks Worldwide + Verizon)

2) AT&T/T-Mobile or GSM Unlocked A1533/A1532 model = Will work on All GSM Networks Worldwide = Sufficient for majority of the buyers out there.

**Those of you buying phones on contract/subsidy it doesn't really make sense for you to buy the Verizon iPhone 5C/5S vs AT&T or T-Mobile...just go with the one your carrier is giving you**

This should answer your question.

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois
I think a big question is whether or not the LTE will work.

I have a Verizon iPhone 5, and it works fine with an AT&T SIM (out of the box). However, it only gets "4G" HSPA+ due to the radio configuration. Also, when it is connected to AT&T, their database is able to identify it as a Verizon iPhone 5 in some way (CS reps stated this over the phone).

I know the new 5s/5c has a new radio, so this may be different. You just never know how VZW/AT&T will handle the other carrier's phones, especially when they can potentially identify it (see the Sprint/VZW problems).

EDIT:

See all the fuss about the Nexus 7 with Verizon LTE going on lately. This could be an indication that it may not work right away out of the box. I'll be getting one of these on launch day (hopefully) so I'll be able to test this and report back.

Last edited:

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
supposed to be a single models/lines...... for t mobile, att and version..

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/1...tt-and-verizon-in-one-model-add-china-mobile/

So Verizon may work but who knows if it will have LTE

"In the United States, a single model of each line supports both AT&T and Verizon, as well as T-Mobile"

keep confusing myself.. so does this mean one model will work on all carriers?

All carriers except Sprint. The model for Sprint will work in Japan as well.
The ATT/Verizon/T-Moblie will work with Verizon CDMA(3G), ATT/T-Mobile HSPA("4G") and LTE for all 3 carriers.

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois
All carriers except Sprint. The model for Sprint will work in Japan as well.
The ATT/Verizon/T-Moblie will work with Verizon CDMA(3G), ATT/T-Mobile HSPA("4G") and LTE for all 3 carriers.

Just because a phone has proper bands / radios, you can't be sure it will activate and get proper service from a specific carrier. See the Nexus 7 LTE model on Verizon having all sorts of issues.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2048956/nexus-7-4g-lte-not-so-fast-verizon-says.html

The iPhone will most likely work as you say, but we won't know for sure until people can test it.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I think a big question is whether or not the LTE will work.

I have a Verizon iPhone 5, and it works fine with an AT&T SIM (out of the box). However, it only gets "4G" HSPA+ due to the radio configuration. Also, when it is connected to AT&T, their database is able to identify it as a Verizon iPhone 5 in some way (CS reps stated this over the phone).

This. I've tried using a verizon iphone 5 with my ATT sim card and it was only getting 4G service, not LTE.

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Just because a phone has proper bands / radios, you can't be sure it will activate and get proper service from a specific carrier. See the Nexus 7 LTE model on Verizon having all sorts of issues.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2048956/nexus-7-4g-lte-not-so-fast-verizon-says.html

The iPhone will most likely work as you say, but we won't know for sure until people can test it.

The nexus 7 will work with Verizon, but Verizon are being *******s and breaking their agreement with the FCC that was made during the 700mhz LTE auction to allow this device to use their network.

It has nothing to do with the bands.

Apple has already announced that the model for Verizon, AT&T and T-Moblie is the same. If u buy it unlocked it will work for any of these 3 carriers in the US and most of the world.

----------

This. I've tried using a verizon iphone 5 with my ATT sim card and it was only getting 4G service, not LTE.

But the iPhone 5 radio is different than the iPhone 5s radio. The 5s radio has the most LTE bands of any phone ever released. This is why it will work for Verizon/AT&T/T-Moblie and your iPhone 5 will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.