Verizon iPhone 5s on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone5att64, Sep 24, 2013.

1. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried using Verizon iPhone 5s on AT&T? Is there anything you have to do to keep using your old Verizon phone if you use the upgrade for AT&T?

2. macsation macrumors member

macsation

It works without doing anything special. Verizon iphone's are sim unlocked. However, you don't get AT&T LTE. I'm actually trying to trade my Verizon iphone 5 right now for an AT&T or unlocked version in order to get AT&T LTE.

3. cnotes2019 macrumors 65816

Are we talking about Verizon iPhone 5 or 5s ?? 5s you get Verizon lte tmobile lte and AT&T lte. Verizon iPhone 5 you only get Verizon lte and everything but AT&T and tmobile lte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Once again:

Verizon iPhone 5S, 5C are the exact identical as T-mobile USA and ATT iPhone 5S/5C. Same CDMA, same HSPA, same LTE bands, same everything

The only "kicker" is that Verizon WILL NOT activate a T-mobile or ATT on their network.

But a Verizon iPhone 5s/5C is sold GSM unlock (per FCC agreement with block C 700 spectrum sale). So Verizon iPhone 5S/5C WILL WORK with full fake 4g (on 850/1900 HSPA) and fake 4G 1700/2100 (tmobile) plus work on both LTE bands 4 and 17. ATT supports both 4 and 17. While T-mobile works on LTE band 4.

I am using Verizon iPhone 5S on ATT LTE right now. I purchased it full price from Apple store today. Keep the Verizon LTE sim in while activating the phone. Than take sim out and put your tmobile or att sim in. You are good to go.

That's the last time you will need the Verizon LTE sim that was pre installed in the phone. It's unactivated so keep it around if you need a spare verizon lte sim in the future.

5. Pirate515 macrumors member

I was under the same impression.

With iPhone 5, there were actually 2 different models:
    A1429 (CDMA/GSM for Verizon/Sprint)
    A1428 (GSM only for AT&T/T-Mobile)

With iPhone 5s/5c, models are slightly different:
    A1533 (5s for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    A1532 (5c for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Obviously, there are Verizon-specific variants of these models that have extra baseband programming for CDMA to handle voice and fail over to EVDO if needed. These should work with AT&T/T-Mobile (including have full LTE support). The AT&T, T-Mobile or unlocked models lack that extra programming and will not work with Verizon.

Sprint uses different models (A1453 - 5s and A1456 - 5c).

6. CncrndCitizen macrumors newbie

Does anyone have definitive information on the state of the radios in the Verizon iPhone 5s? If you were to use an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, would the CDMA radio still be active and sucking down battery?

It seems like getting the unlocked Verizon iPhone 5s would be the best option if you are buying the device up front, but the loss of battery life could be a significant penalty

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I bought a device-only Verizon iPhone on Saturday and am using it for AT&T. I have no idea whether the CDMA radio attempts to connect, but since I never registered for a CDMA account and it can tell from the SIM that it is running on AT&T it probably doesn't check. The battery life is comparable, perhaps slightly better than my AT&T iPhone 5.

8. CncrndCitizen macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I thought about it some more, and it seems like the SIM should affect which signal the chip seeks for. It wouldn't make sense for the CDMA radio to always be on, especially since they're meant to also be used internationally where CDMA is less widespread.

I guess the CDMA/Verizon version is the phone to get if possible, since it gives you the most options.