Carrier Verizon iPhone 5S talk and surf

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gbuc95, Aug 2, 2013.

1. gbuc95 macrumors member

Anybody hope that Apple FINALLY makes the Iphone be able to talk and surf on Verizon without using Wifi?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If they keep the current iPhone 5 antenna design, unlikely.

3. cynics macrumors G4

They'd need to modify the radio/antenna to do that like some of the competitions phones are (SVDO).

Although I'd love to see this happen I can almost assure you we won't see it. CDMA is just too small worldwide to make an entirely new iPhone for it.

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

SVDO is CDMA technology. If they tweak the antenna design they can do CDMA Voice/LTE Data.

P.S - Nice Glock.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it on the 5S.
    Would make sense to do the whole redesign of the antenna system on the next major iphone release like the iphone 6 next year.

6. Jades macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 and 4S antenna systems were completely different. iPhone 4S, apple introduced a dual antenna design that the 4 didn't have

If this CEO actually uses his head, the same can be accomplished with the 5S

7. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

It's defineately possible, they just need to change the antenna design. They changed it in the 4-4S so why not the 5-5S. LTE networks I the U.S have become significantly more widespread so I think its likely.

8. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Isn't this what LTE Advanced is supposed to do?

9. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

I thought LTE advanced was only to increase data speeds. :confused:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True but with neither the iphone 4 or 4S you could do talk and surf on a CDMA network.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not entirely correct. The CDMA iPhone 4 had a dual design, but it could only receive two streams and transmit one. The iPhone 4S change that to a two transmit ability.

12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I hope to see a world phone like 4s, I hate to travel and hear "we are sorry but with your iPhone and our prepaid sim you can't get LTE!"

13. cynics macrumors G4

This feature alone would be enough of a push to get the high end new iPhone. I'm constantly on my phone and constantly waiting for emails. Its annoying to say "let me call you back in a minute I need to check my email".

I would switch to a GSM carrier but its a phone supplied by my employer so it is what it is.

I used to use a tablet and a wifi hotspot while in my company vehicle and that worked ok but its a bit of a hassle.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Either I or one of my bosses would have shot me in the face by now if I had to put up with that.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah this was one of the reasons I switched from Verizon to Tmobile.

16. cynics macrumors G4

Well to be honest I'm usually on the phone BS'ing with other co-workers. So no one really brings it up. :)

17. gbuc95 thread starter macrumors member

I am thinking about going to At&t if it doesn't because I don't really care for any android phones that Verizon offers at the moment but I really want to have this ability.

18. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Additionally since Sprint is rolling out 800 MHz LTE soon, I would imagine they're asking Apple to include that LTE band in the next iPhone version.

19. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Its not going to matter in a couple years when everything is VoLTE

20. cynics macrumors G4

Yeah, in a couple years. I'd like to see this now. I know the world is predominately GSM but there are still some large CDMA markets out there.

I know we won't see this on the next iPhone but its a nice thing to hope for.

21. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

the iPhone will be able to do it once Verizon releases Voice over LTE (VoLTE or VoIPLTE)

LTE advanced are just higher LTE Speeds

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) This so needs to happen, especially if it means better voice quality. Of course when you call all these darn landlines, it means very little.

2) I saw VoLTE and thought you were talking about a cartoon robot made of lions for a second.