Verizon iPhone 6 in Japan

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Curious, from my understanding all Verizon iPhone 6 models are factory unlocked, regardless of whether or not you have a contract.

So, they should work in Japan just fine.

However, does anyone know if a Japanese carrier will give you a SIM without buying the device from them? When I last lived in Japan back in the iPhone 4 days, they absolutely would not let you bring your own device and give you a SIM - you HAD to buy the iPhone from the carrier.

Has this changed or is it still the same?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Since Apple now sells unlocked iPhones directly on their website and at Apple stores in Japan, I think this practice has changed and that you can get a contract now with just a SIM card.

I bought an unlocked iPhone 6 from Apple here in Japan and just went to my local AU shop to change my contract from 3G to LTE and get a new SIM card. It was no hassle at all so I don't think you'll have a problem. It might depend on the carrier, though. AU was fine for me, but I'm not sure about SoftBank or DoCoMo.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Cool, do I need to start a new contract then with a SIM purchase? Or can I just buy a SIM and go month to month?

Might be moving back to Japan before my iPhone 6 contract here in the states is up - would kind of blow to have to start a new contract on a phone that might be a year or more old by that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.