Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
question for verizon ONLY, currently the iphone 5s does not have this feature, will the iphone 6 allow for simultaneous voice and LTE data while on LTE network (not VoLte)?

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Need VoLTE for that on Verizon, or be connected to wifi. On the upside, Verizon is intending to roll out VoLTE in the not-too-distant future to the whole LTE network.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Well it will support Voice over LTE which will allow Verizon customers to finally be able to do so. Although, to be honest. I am on Verizon. And never really had the need for this very often.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
No. Voice over LTE is required for simultaneous voice and data on a CDMA network.

No, it isn't required. SVDO is what does this on the android phones. It requires another antenna which Apple has refused to add.

VoLTE will only work with other VoLTE users so it will be severely limited. They need to add SVDO support to the iPhone.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
every android phone on verizon currently allows that WITHOUT being on VoLte

Not every LTE Android phone, most of them, but not all. It's because they have two cellular transmitters in them. One for voice and one for data. Apple thinks on a more global market where CDMA is used only in a very few markets. Making room in the device for an extra transmitter doesn't make equate for a good business choice if it's only used in a few areas. Then there's the problem of higher power drain when on a call. People would be wondering why Verizon iPhones don't last as long on calls as AT&T iPhones. That would lead to bad PR for Apple and Verizon, making Verizon not happy with Apple.

No, it isn't required. SVDO is what does this on the android phones. It requires another antenna which Apple has refused to add.

VoLTE will only work with other VoLTE users so it will be severely limited. They need to add SVDO support to the iPhone.

SVDO is what does that on non-LTE CDMA devices. Otherwise, it's two LTE radios and antennas. With the advent of LTE, SVDO has been declining as it's more power hungry then LTE. See by above response as to why it would be rather pointless for Apple to add that ability.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
VoLTE will only work with other VoLTE users so it will be severely limited.

Not true. VoLTE will work for all voice calls.

You're mixing this up with HD Voice. Both ends need to be HD Voice capable to get the better sound quality, but the same isn't true for VoLTE.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
well, coming friday, when i get my iPhone, if it doesn't allow me to do that in the los angeles area, its going back to the store, unless los angeles already has VoLte?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So you still can't talk and surf on Verizon?

Heh. That $40 upgrade fee on AT&T is looking better and better...

Whats the point of talking and surfing at the same time if you can't even get a signal? At least that is how it is in California. AT&T's service still sucks out here. Meanwhile I can be out in the middle of the Mojave and still have a signal. The only time I didn't have a signal was going out to Death Valley a few years ago. Once I got there I had a 1x signal.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Whats the point of talking and surfing at the same time if you can't even get a signal? At least that is how it is in California. AT&T's service still sucks out here. Meanwhile I can be out in the middle of the Mojave and still have a signal. The only time I didn't have a signal was going out to Death Valley a few years ago. Once I got there I had a 1x signal.

Sorry not everyone lives in your local area or tries to get service in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Saying AT&T service sucks is pointless cause verizon also sucks in many various locations and gets no signal with dead zones. Individual results will vary by location and no carrier is perfect everywhere.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sorry not everyone lives in your local area or tries to get service in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Saying AT&T service sucks is pointless cause verizon also sucks in many various locations and gets no signal with dead zones. Individual results will vary by location and no carrier is perfect everywhere.

But some of us do try to get a signal in the middle of the Mohave and getting that signal to some is more important than talk and surf.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
But some of us do try to get a signal in the middle of the Mohave and getting that signal to some is more important than talk and surf.

Then use whatever works for you.
I will never have a need for Mojave desert wireless coverage but my local area where I spend 99% of my time has perfect AT&T coverage and very fast LTE.
So like said, individual results will vary by location.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

Oh I'm not saying AT&T Sucks nation wide, but the person I was replying too was saying that Verizon was inferior due to the fact that they can't talk and surf at the same time. In this case, AT&Ts coverage (at least in the Western portion of the US) is inferior to Verizon's. I hear its the exact opposite in the Eastern US; Verizon sucks and AT&T is the best.

Also, I do know a truck driver who is constantly going through the Mojave. He has 2 friends on AT&T and he's on Verizon. His friends constantly complain the call quality is sub-par to the quality on Verizon (they switched to get the 3GS in 2009) and there are more dead spots then Verizon. Not to say Verizon doesn't have them, but they have far, far less.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Oh I'm not saying AT&T Sucks nation wide, but the person I was replying too was saying that Verizon was inferior due to the fact that they can't talk and surf at the same time. In this case, AT&Ts coverage (at least in the Western portion of the US) is inferior to Verizon's. I hear its the exact opposite in the Eastern US; Verizon sucks and AT&T is the best.

Also, I do know a truck driver who is constantly going through the Mojave. He has 2 friends on AT&T and he's on Verizon. His friends constantly complain the call quality is sub-par to the quality on Verizon (they switched to get the 3GS in 2009) and there are more dead spots then Verizon. Not to say Verizon doesn't have them, but they have far, far less.

I wouldn't over generalize saying AT&T's coverage in the west part of the US is inferior and verizon sucks on the east coast.
IMO the both have very good networks and have great coverage in some areas and not so good at others.
Again, not all of us are truck drivers or travel throughout the country for a living. Most people figure out what works great for the locations that they frequent the most. If your just travel a few times a year for vacation and signal is not that great there you can live with it for a little while till you get back home.
I'd suggest everyone to try out carriers since most will let you test their network and return the device and cancel the contract in under 30 days. Then you will really know if it works for you or not. Taking other peoples word is not that accurate either.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I wouldn't over generalize saying AT&T's coverage in the west part of the US is inferior and verizon sucks on the east coast.
IMO the both have very good networks and have great coverage in some areas and not so good at others.
Again, not all of us are truck drivers or travel throughout the country for a living. Most people figure out what works great for the locations that they frequent the most. If your just travel a few times a year for vacation and signal is not that great there you can live with it for a little while till you get back home.
I'd suggest everyone to try out carriers since most will let you test their network and return the device and cancel the contract in under 30 days. Then you will really know if it works for you or not. Taking other peoples word is not that accurate either.

Very true, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint may work for someone you never know. I have another buddy who swears by T-Mobile and has for years. For me however, Verizon works very well, I just wish their customer service was better. If T-Mobile had better coverage I would switch to them in a heart beat.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
well, coming friday, when i get my iPhone, if it doesn't allow me to do that in the los angeles area, its going back to the store, unless los angeles already has VoLte?

Switch your carrier if this is needed and you want an iPhone and don't want to wait for Verizon to rollout VoLTE. It's a given that iPhones aren't able to do talk and surf unless on WiFi.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

The eastern United States stretches from Maine to Florida, thousands of miles. It's quite a generalization to say Verizon is inferior like that. I would say they are equal with one or the other having the usual location advantage based on where you are.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Not true. VoLTE will work for all voice calls.

You're mixing this up with HD Voice. Both ends need to be HD Voice capable to get the better sound quality, but the same isn't true for VoLTE.

VoLTE is only HD from Verizon.

HD Voice and Video Calling work only when both people are in the Verizon 4G LTE coverage area and are using VoLTE-enabled smartphones from Verizon. The calling experience customers know today remains the same if one Verizon customer uses a VoLTE-enabled phone and the other doesn’t, or if a customer with a Verizon smartphone calls a customer of another carrier or a landline phone.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/news...g-soon-to-verizon-wireless4g-lte-network.html

Currently, VoLTE calls cannot be made between different wireless operator networks. So even if a Verizon VoLTE-capable device is calling an AT&T VoLTE device, for now the two devices will not be able to use the technology for the call. Instead, the call will revert to the older circuit-switched technology.
http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-readies-launch-of-nationwide-voice-over-lte-service/

No where is it mentioned that VoLTE will work from a handset to a landline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.