Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2H-3Gf_fL8

Verizon has started airing a new iPhone ad that seems to specifically target AT&T's reputation for poor voice quality.
It's beautiful. It's intelligent. Even genius. But does your network work? ... ring ... "Yes, I can hear you now." This is America's largest and most reliable network. Built so you can rule the air."
The early reviews seem to agree that Verizon's reception is better than AT&T's for voice calls.

Meanwhile, we've heard that AT&T has started offering some customers free Microcell devices that boost cell phone signals at your house. Several readers have noted that they had received email offers from AT&T for free microcells. It's not clear how widespread the practice is, or the selection criteria.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Ad Targets AT&T Reception, AT&T Giving Out Free Microcells to Some Customers

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Verizon would do that.
Why no more Droid commercials, Verizon? lol

Even though I have AT&T and have no intentions of switching to Verizon, I kind of like the commercial haha.

So now T-Mobile is going to have to try twice as hard to get people not to go with iPhone in general.

Its been a while since that guy (can you hear me now?) has been in the commercials ! YESSSS

Interestingly enough, the Verizon iPhone shows the time on the incoming call screen. I'm pretty sure mines doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Comment

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Competition!!!

Competition will drive prices down, and bring us better service. Can't wait for verizon to offer unlimited 4G when that comes out.

Comment

User3977

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
figures i buy a microcell and then a few weeks latter they start to offer free ones. i swear i will be so pissed if they offer me one..... hell i might just go pick it up and smash it right there in the store. just for the fun of it.

Comment

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Oh man, how many business calls have I screwed up because of AT&T. You know when you're chasing a potential client lead for month and then you finally get to speak to someone, AT&T drops 4 times in a call.

Why Apple decided for this 3rd world operator is beyond me.

Comment

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
AZ
I tried for to get one - after several hours of trouble shooting throughout They might have given me one but I had to a DSL cable at my house - they wanted me to buy AT&T Uverse - So I was not going to do that. They all said "We don't guarantee signal in your house". Well I recently moved so that sucks. The worst is I get three or two bars but it more like .5 with the quality. I tried to get them to let out of my contract - no dice.

One thing of note the "Mark the spot" at&t app actually works. They could see how much and when I was using it. I told them I thought it was sham and quit using in about a month ago. They said spread the word - so here it is.

I'm switching to Verizon:apple: on the 10th.

Comment

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Oh man, how many business calls have I screwed up because of AT&T. You know when you're chasing a potential client lead for month and then you finally get to speak to someone, AT&T drops 4 times in a call.

Why Apple decided for this 3rd world operator is beyond me.

Perhaps you should disable 3G when you want to make an important call. The 2G call handling is so much better than 3G (of either GSM or CDMA).

TEG

Comment

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Seriously. Where do you guys live?

I live in SoCal and travel from San Diego to Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Phoenix on business. And I don't ever "drop a call 4 times".

I'm excited for the iPhone on Verizon because hopefully it really will create competition.

However I am against these ridiculous adds putting down the other company. If that was the case as to who the better carrier is all AT&T needs to run is a commercial showing an AT&T user on the phone sending and receiving an email to a "Verizon" customer. Oh wait... AT&T wins.

And the reviews as to the iP4 on Verizon having better reception.. Really? I mean really? How long did they have the phone? An hour, a week? Did they do side by side comparisons and phone calls?

Comment

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ

I live in SoCal and travel from San Diego to Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Phoenix on business. And I don't ever "drop a call 4 times".

I travel to California on business about 4 times a year and I DO drop calls all the time. I can't get any reception in or around LAX at all, it is just awful.

Comment

pwntang

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
It's pretty sad that AT&T has to offer free Microcell devices to boost cell phone signals in houses. It's disgusting that this offer only happens now that Verizon is carrying the iPhone 4. Are they officially admitting their cell signal sucks and have been providing customers inadequate service for years?

Comment

dbindley

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Torrey Hills, CA

I'm excited for the iPhone on Verizon because hopefully it really will create competition.

However I am against these ridiculous adds putting down the other company. If that was the case as to who the better carrier is all AT&T needs to run is a commercial showing an AT&T user on the phone sending and receiving an email to a "Verizon" customer. Oh wait... AT&T wins.

And the reviews as to the iP4 on Verizon having better reception.. Really? I mean really? How long did they have the phone? An hour, a week? Did they do side by side comparisons and phone calls?

I'm in San Diego, too, and I actually have dropped calls fairly often. The complex that I live in gets hardly any signal, and if I don't sit in one particular spot in my kitchen, I'll miss calls and texts for hours. I typically don't get signal until I'm at least a quarter mile from where I live.

Sucky thing is, when I first moved here (3yr ago), the AT&T coverage map had a big gaping hole right where I am, so when I heard about the free Microcell offers, I was going to call them up and use that as firepower... checked the same map the other day, and it shows it has full coverage here, but there has been no actual change in those three years =(

I also drive by the main AT&T office here in San Diego, and that area has some of the worst reception I've experienced (100% call drop rate). I realize that the office != coverage, but I find it funny and ironic.

Not gonna switch for a while, though. It's annoying, but not THAT annoying.

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Cool commercial.

But AT&T works for me 95% of the time here in Florida. The other 5% is when I have bars/service, but nothing loads.

Comment

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I'm in San Diego, too, and I actually have dropped calls fairly often. The complex that I live in gets hardly any signal, and if I don't sit in one particular spot in my kitchen, I'll miss calls and texts for hours. I typically don't get signal until I'm at least a quarter mile from where I live.

Sucky thing is, when I first moved here (3yr ago), the AT&T coverage map had a big gaping hole right where I am, so when I heard about the free Microcell offers, I was going to call them up and use that as firepower... checked the same map the other day, and it shows it has full coverage here, but there has been no actual change in those three years =(

I also drive by the main AT&T office here in San Diego, and that area has some of the worst reception I've experienced (100% call drop rate). I realize that the office != coverage, but I find it funny and ironic.

Not gonna switch for a while, though. It's annoying, but not THAT annoying.
Get Mark the Spot and use it all the time!

Comment

appledamian

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
They gave me a Microcell a few months back to fix my reception. The thing sucks, it sounds like I am talking to soundwave from the transformers. Worse than a dropped call. funny thing is a month later they connected a new tower and the signal got better. I still drop at least one call a day on the weekends. In the week i dont use my phone much for talking.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.