Verizon iPhone losing 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

My iPhone loses 3G when I walk through my building. Thats normal. But now when I walk outside 3G doesn't come bak till I turn airplane mode on and off.

This used to happen on my droid phones with 4g. Is this a Verizon thing?

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

no, I notice sometimes certain apps that run in the background will "lock" it in 1x mode until I close out the app.

doesn't happen to often for me however

PS: i'm on Sprint

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

This happens to me every time I leave. I just reset the network settings to see if that helps

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

No. Resetting the network settings didn't resolve.

5. Raegor macrumors member

Have you asked co-workers?

Since you're in D.C. they could be runnin a jammer or something in the building.

6. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

No the problem isn't the building. I know why I don't get signal in the building. When I leave the building I should get 3G back right away. Instead I only get 1x digital (the little o instead of 3G) until I turn toggle airplane mode on and off

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I've seen this. 3G does come back after about 5-10 minutes but isn't instant like you mentioned.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This happens to me quite frequently when I'm work. It appears to be a Verizon issue since my other co-workers around me experience the same issue (iPhone and droids). It doesn't happen all the time, but it's frequent enough to be annoying if I'm streaming a Phillies game via the MLB At-Bat app or music through the Rdio app.

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

CDMA networks..not just verizon

10. Jigga macrumors 6502

I've been having this issue on occasion in NY.

11. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Yeah I waited a few minutes after I left work and 3G eventually came back.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

This just happened to me TC.

on Sprint network, my 3g wasn't working and other people with Sprint phones was working just fine...well slow but working nontheless.

turned airplane mode on/off and now mine works.

any idea what this is?

13. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

I just switched to at&t, had Sprint and Verizon before that, and you're right it is definitely CDMA issue. Since being on at&t I never have that problem anymore or the issue that used to happen where my phone would constantly switch back adn forth from 1x to 3G while sitting still.

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

it only happened to me once so far in the 10 years i've been with Sprint, so i'm chalking it up as a fluke

16. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

I think it has to do with a couple things. The first thing would be the algorithms that Apple, Sprint and Verizon use in their baseband has some type of error where the phone either doesn't check in often enough with what networks are available at what signal strength, essentially making it stuck on 1x until the next time it checks in (either on it's own or by forcing it to through airplane mode or reboot.) Another thing that could be happening if it is just jumping back and forth from one network type to another is it could be a congestion problem on the tower on 3G, so it bumps users down to 1X to free up spectrum/bandwidth/backhaul for users already active on tower.

17. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

This happens to me when I lock my iPhone in a locker at the gym. Even if I shut it off or put it into air plane mode beforehand. I have to turn air plane mode on and off a couple of times to get it to jump back onto the network.

18. cynics macrumors G4

If anything is using data you'll be locked in. Next time you notice this, quickly kill all app and lock the phone. Then unlock it. See if that helps.

I notice it all the time. Usually just going to the home screen for 5-10 seconds is enough.