Verizon iPhone off contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncvikingx97, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ncvikingx97 macrumors member

I am just curious, once the contract is expired for my iPhone, can I use it off contract right away, or do I have to call the. Or something? Thanks.

2. mostlynameless macrumors member

When your contract ends, you just go month-to-month on the same terms. Nothing really changes, except you could leave Verizon without paying the EFT. Is that what you're asking?

3. daleycss macrumors regular

4. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

So there is no way that I could use the phone wifi only without having to pay extra?

5. mostlynameless macrumors member

If you put another phone on your phone number and retire this one so it doesn't have phone service anymore, you should be able to put it in airplane mode/wifi and use it like an iPod.

But, if you continue using it on Verizon as a phone, I think you have to continue paying the dataplan. I don't think Verizon will let you use a smartphone on their system without a dataplan.

6. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks . So when I'm done and upgrade, I should just unlock then. What are the pros of unlocking?

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Very little benefit of unlocking Verizon iPhone 4s unless you want to use it internationally. And Verizon will unlock iPhone 4s even under contract. No big deal to verizon cause they lock down the phone in the USA and you cannot use a Verizon iPhone 4s on AT&T or tmobile.

8. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response, but I am trying todetermine

9. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

If my phone will work off contract without an unlock. Thanks

10. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Perhaps you need to define what you mean by work off contract.

Once your 2 year contract ends you are on a month to month contract. If you cancel your contract, you would then have an iPhone with the functionality of an iPod.

Are you asking if you can take that phone and obtain service from another domestic carrier? If so, that requires more than a sim unlock. I believe that would require a phone unlock and I do not know if that is possible.

11. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for being vague, here is what I am trying to figure out. When my contract ends, I am going to get a new phone, with a two year contract on Verizon as my upgrade. So when I have a new phone hooked up to a contract, will I be able to use my phone, or will I have to unlock?

12. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

You'll be able to use it on wifi and use all of the data functions. You will obviously not be able to make calls on it, unless you reactivate it.

13. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks, I just wanted to establish that. Thank you all for your answers.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Wait for the iPhone5!