verizon iphone plan questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clumsyalex, Sep 15, 2012.

1. clumsyalex macrumors newbie

So, my current contract with verizon is anything but near close to being over or within the upgrade period. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with the old $30 for 2gb/month data plan that they apparently no longer offer.

My question is, if I were to purchase an iphone 5 off craigslist or retail, would my current billing/plan be changed in any way at all? Does the iPhone (or any 4g phone for the matter) require a particular different plan, or will verizon just let me activate an iphone 5 hassle free and keep my current billing the way it is?

Sorry if there is a pretty obvious answer, but most google searches led me to believe that only those with the old unlimited verizon plan would be able to do this, but I'm not so sure about the $30 2gb plan they used to offer which I still have.

2. tcoche macrumors member

You will be good. As long as you're not extending your current agreement to get a discount. That's what I was told when I upgraded. I have unlimited data. I upgraded my wifes agreement for the ip5 (discounted pricing) and vzw is allowing me to swap phones and keep my unlimited data. ;)

3. formerpc macrumors 6502

If you purchase it directly from them for full price, or bring it in from somewhere else (basically: you didn't get a subsidized one on contract with/from them), then you can keep your current plan. You should even still have all of the old minute/txt/data options available to you too (ie: say you have 450 mins but want the 900 min plan; you can switch to that no problem).

4. clumsyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answers and reassurance guys.