Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While lines for the public launch of the Verizon iPhone were generally short yesterday, the device had already been making its way into customers' hands through a pre-order program for existing Verizon customers, and many have been wondering just how strong sales of the new device have been.

150509-chitika_iphone_verizon_att.jpg

Mobile ad firm Chitika today announced that it has put together a live tracker showing the relative balance of AT&T and Verizon iPhones showing up on the company's advertising network. The data, which is based on a rolling 24-hour average and is updated hourly, currently shows the Verizon iPhone already grabbing 3% of the U.S. base as measured by the limited study.

We spoke with Chitika's Dan Ruby and asked him if he could come up with a ballpark figure of the number of Verizon iPhones that might already be in circulation. Such an estimate would of course be based on a number of guesses and assumptions, including the percentage of iPhone sales occurring in the U.S., the percentages of phones of given ages still in operation, and even just how representative Chitika's data is of iPhone usage as a whole. But given those constraints and understanding the likelihood of a significant margin of error, Ruby offered an estimate in the range of 900,000 Verizon iPhones currently in use.

150256-att_free_rollover_minutes.jpg

While Verizon is continuing to grow its base of iPhone users from scratch, AT&T has continued its push to retain its iPhone customers with a new initiative of its own. According to 9 to 5 Mac and AppAdvice, AT&T has started sending text messages to some iPhone users offering them 1000 free rollover minutes in appreciation for their business. Customers can accept the offer by responding "YES" to the 11113020 number from which the text message comes. A number of users have reported success simply sending "YES" to that number without having received the text message, although the confirmation text notes that it can take up to four weeks for the bonus minutes to be credited to customers' accounts.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Already Representing 3% of U.S. iPhone Traffic as AT&T Hands Out 1000 Free Minutes

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
But we just got free unlimited mobile to any mobile... which we don't need because most of us don't ever get anywhere near close to using all our minutes.

What's the next great feature AT&T can give away to keep it's users? 10 free email addresses? Free 14.4 Kbps dial up? 250mb free web space?

This is getting silly, AT&T. Lower your prices if you want to compete. These gimmicks are going to backfire. See how many people you could add if you dropped unlimited texting to 5 bucks.

Comment

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
If someone with computer science knowledge could explain why it could possibly take 4 weeks to add a number to a balance, that would be great...

Comment

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Only 3%????!!!!! cmon Verizon users!!!! I am pretty sure I am 75% of that 3%. Lol. In my first 72 hours, I have used over 14gb of data. I have been tormenting like crazy over 3G,

Comment

irish1313

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2007
Michigan
Although I have plenty of roll over, I sent "yes" to the # and got the confirmation text for the 1000 bonus roll over minutes...I did not get the original text, just replied to the #.

Comment

tbluhp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
I called at&t they told me they have no idea what im talking about 1000 rollover miniutes I also tried to text yes to the number 7 times and nothing.

Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
used to be interesting here

Boohoo.

But we just got free unlimited mobile to any mobile... which we don't need because most of us don't ever get anywhere near close to using all our minutes.

What's the next great feature AT&T can give away to keep it's users? 10 free email addresses? Free 14.4 Kbps dial up? 250mb free web space?

This is getting silly, AT&T. Lower your prices if you want to compete. These gimmicks are going to backfire. See how many people you could add if you dropped unlimited texting to 5 bucks.

Minutes mean nothing. Give me personal hotspot, AT&T, and I'll be excited.

Comment

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
AT&T actually gave me 20$ off a month for 6 months along with the 1000 free minutes and free mobile to any mobile, just for saying I was going to switch to verizon. Awesome customer service AT&T!!!! :)

Comment

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
1000 Free minutes of silence and call dropping?

Snap, beat me to it!

Not a huge incentive if you ask me

Then reply with NO if you're going to be stubborn. You're basically saying no free minutes are better than 1000 free minutes. Never since I've owned the first iPhone (and every other one) have I had a dropped call - you must live in the projects since you're acting like picking up the phone will undoubtedly result in a dropped call. That's not to say that there aren't people who drop calls, but don't be such a drama queen about it. Take the minutes and quit acting like a stubborn 6 year old.

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
whoop-dee-fricken doo.

ATT needs to lower prices as an offer. 2 years back I had 7000+ minutes per month thanks to roll-over. Data is used more often than the minutes thanks to Mobile-Mobile and N&W minutes not actually used.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If someone with computer science knowledge could explain why it could possibly take 4 weeks to add a number to a balance, that would be great...

its going to take 4 weeks to process, and AT&T hopes to keep you on the hook for another 4 weeks wile you wait for the minutes to get added to your account.

Comment

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Yay, Free Minutes

I didn't get the text because I don't own a iPhone, but I saw this on 9to5mac and I am getting free minutes. Now I have to explain it to everybody how to do this.

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
AT&T actually gave me 20$ off a month for 6 months along with the 1000 free minutes and free mobile to any mobile, just for saying I was going to switch to verizon. Awesome customer service AT&T!!!! :)

now THAT's an OFFER!
adding more minutes I wont use is useless, cutting Phone bill will be MOST helpful.

Comment

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ulimited Mobile to ANY Mobile AT&T

I already switched over to the ulimited mobile to ANY mobile with AT&T. It's a great deal.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008

Exactly! I have the 450min plan and I rarely hit 400 mins a month...weekends, nights, and mobile-to-mobile (plus a home phone with unlimited calling anywhere in the US and Canada) keeps me under. However, even with those bonuses, I still rarely dial more than 300 mins anyway...I'm just not a huge cell-phone user for calls.

It would be nice if they dropped the texting to $5 for unlimitted or simply dropped the entire rate $10/month. With my corporate discount I am still paying $67/month with all the taxes! To me, that's high for a 450/min plan no matter what cell phone I have. I want it more around $40/month or less especially after I shell out $200 for a cell phone AND a 2-year committment.

When the iPhone 5 comes out in June-ish, I'll switch to Verizon.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.