Verizon iPhone Upgrade on different line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saberahul, Feb 4, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

Have done research and asked multiple people across different threads but am looking for a step-by-step process on how I would accomplish this.
    My line isn't eligible but another is so I went ahead and pre-ordered on that line. I've been told multiple times that I should simple go to the store once I receive the iPhone 4 and ask them to port the number.
    1. Can someone provide a step process as to what I should ask for exactly or say and what needs to be done before I go in the store?
    2. Do I first activate on the eligible line and then ask them to port the iPhone to my line or does it not matter?
    3. Can it be done on the Verizon website (this will avoid the hassle of talking to vzw people and their CS is usually bad) and if so, where?
    4. Will the eligible line be required to pay the data plan for the remainder of the contract or will it be removed once it is downgraded back to the LG enV?
    5. Are there any fees attached to this request/transaction?

Thanks. To those who are going to respond saying "Call them up," please don't. I have already spoken to them and got the same vague response as others: "Just go to the Store."
    So if someone knows the answer to even one of the questions, do tell.

-- SR

2. elbaseball212 macrumors newbie

i did the exact same thing and am also looking for an answer. someone please help

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Easy

Well first of all, Verizon gives you the option to transfer discounted upgrades from one line to another. That was your first mistake.

Anyways, just activate it for that line and then change the device through the website by disabling the iPhone and reactivating the old device on that line. Then do the same with your own line by deactivating your current phone and then activating the iPhone.

All of this can be done through Verizon website. Absolutely no need to go to Verizon or call them.

I did this when "old school" dad wanted a simple phone, i bought the blackberry for him and then gave him my old phone and activated the blackberry for my line.

4. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

There was no mistake. For the iPhone pre-orders the "Transfer Upgrade to another line" was disabled. Once you clicked on it you would still reach a page which would make you check a line to upgrade on and only eligible line would get the discount -- this issue was said to happen by the CS rep and is mentioned all over the VZW forums.

Thanks for the info on the disable/activate tip. I'll be sure to check it out.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Also dont worry about the fact that you'll see a $29.99 data package charge on your bill after activating it for that line. Most of the time it will show no charge on the bill, seeing it was canceled that same day and moved to your line.

6. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I'm actually doing a similar thing with my parents. My father was due and upgrade and my mother wasn't, but she wanted the iPhone. So one of the two iPhones I ordered has a number attached that isn't the number that is going to be activated onto the phone.

Now, I've done this with other Verizon phones, but this is iPhone so it isn't going to work quite the same.

In the past, when a phone died, I bought a phone off of a buddy and activated it online. I am doubting this will be the same for iPhone at first though. I am planning on calling customer service and having them do it over the phone.

If you are planning on going into the store, make sure it is an official Verizon center and not a franchise which will not have a service desk. Have receipt for the iPhone so they don't think you stole it. And ask them to activate the phone for another number.

A similar question was asked over on THIS THREAD and I found this helpful:

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Oh! I wasn't aware it was disabled for the iPhone. I had done it previously for the Droid and had no problem, but it looks like Verizon isnt showing any leniency for iPhone.

8. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

You mentioned disabling the phone --> I don't see any option to do so.

Attached Files:

9. leetlamer macrumors member

Apparently you can call verizon before you active the phone and tell them to transfer the upgrade to the line you want. If you search here there are a number of threads that talk about this.

And apparently there's a little sheet that tells you what to do if you want to activate on a different line with a number you can call.

10. KMcClanahan macrumors newbie

I used another lines upgrade also. I remember before when I was on AT&T I had to enter my number when activating the phone thru iTunes, so could it be the same for the Verizon phone?

11. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Can you provide links? As far as I know, people mentioned that switching before activating on eligible line will cost you the full retail of the phone and not the discounted value; but, since I already paid I don't see how they can just jack up the bill.

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

You now own the phone. Once it is in your possession it is YOURS. They can't change the price on you at that stage. If you want to activate it on a different line, they have no choice but to allow you to do so.

13. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

You have to go through my Verizon and go to that phone and disable it, you can then activate that line again on a different MEID # (usually on back of the phone, under the battery, probably will be different for iPhone). Anyways, i tried logging in to my Verizon to give you exact instructions, but my Verizon is currently unavailable.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Don't worry about them jacking up your bill. You'll see a temporary data charge on the line that you bought and activated the iPhone on, but it wont be charged because you'll cancel it that day and transfer it to your line. Besides that, they cannot charge retail price if you transfer the phone to an ineligble upgrade line. Your stressing too much, this is a simple process. Only thing im concerned with, is where the MEID# will be seeing you cant remove the battery on the iPhone.

We'll have to wait and see. It might be something that they have might included into the iPhone under the settings page. Who know?

15. soadquake981 macrumors newbie

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again:

I can't guarantee that this will work 100%, but I was told by two different Verizon reps that the iPhone will ship with a sheet of paper that describes what to do if you want to "delay activation" or something like that. It will also have the phone number 1 877 807 4646. When you call that number, you will have the option of accepting the 2-year contract on the line for which it was ordered, or selecting a different line. I'm not exactly sure what happens after that. The last rep I talked to said that iTunes is independent of this activation process.

16. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Right there. Device-> Activate device and it will let you enter a different phones info

17. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Interesting.... I wonder whether the phone will come Locked like the Att phones, where they require a Att Sim just to get into the iPhone.

18. rlav macrumors member

I have been told by both an employee on the phone, and the guy that was at the store when I went to purchase a case that the following steps need to be taken.

1) Activate iPhone through iTunes on line that is upgrade eligible
    2) Use the MEID (in phone info, or on box) on the old phone, and re-activate it online and doing so will disable the iPhone.
    3) Call *228 and press 1 to complete reactivation
    4) Now activate the iPhone online using the MEID (which is apparently on the box as well as in the about phone menu)
    5) Call *228 on the iPhone and again press 1 to complete process

This is supposed to work, and you should not have to go into the store to complete this task.

Also, I was told that this should not cost anything to do.

19. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Thank you, this is awesome information.

20. snakelda macrumors 6502

Once you activate the device on another line,it automatically gets deactivated. You don't need to manually disable the phone. I've done this numerous times but I don't know where the MEID# will be at since the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery.

21. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Likely on the box, or you view it under the options in iOS.

22. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks!

23. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am confused - how does this move the iPhone to the a different number?

24. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

If the iPhone's MEID can be found you can change it to a different line under your vzw account. The steps simply outline the procedure to do so. Pretty straightforward I'd say.

25. royal31 macrumors newbie

The rep I spoke to said it will work just like any other phone activation, the only difference is to call and have them change the ESN or do it on "My Verizon." She even transferred the data plan upgrade to my line so all I would need to do is activate. Hopefully she's right!