Verizon is tracking you, your location, your browsing, and selling it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

I don't know links work on here but go to google and type

"Verizon draws fire"

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

You forgot to note that you also get to pay Verizon for the privilege of letting them do this to you...

3. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have ATT but am still upset! I usually don't fired up about things as I do believe in free markets and prosperity within its legal limits

But

When you start tracking me, regardless of whether you're making money or not,

I feel violated! They're watching me!

4. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

You can opt out you know.

You forgot that part. And there are no names or personal info.

Google does this too, along with every huge company.

Way to rile up the paranoid types.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

They know where you live, how you vote, and they're coming for your dog. Run little man, run... :eek:

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

This

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And the cable company knows what shows you watch. Your ISP knows what sites you visit. Your banks and credit card companies know where you eat sleep and breathe.

Unless you have something to hide, who cares? You're not a person to these companies. You're a demographic.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple has already been tracking you. Nothing new to be surprised over.

9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Who you calling a democrat? Now you done gone to mettlin' :D

10. darster Suspended

I hope they are tracking me. I just dropped a turd for them.

11. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Rotfl

12. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Verizon has offered the ability to opt-out of this type of tracking for awhile now. I opted out last year. Sometimes it pays to actually read the privacy policy.

Some of the in-depth tracking the linked article talks about might be new, but the opt-out page on Verizon is the same so if you had previously opted out you still are.

13. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

OLD NEWS!

This all came out long ago about Apple and AT&T.

Even if you opt out they know where you are. It is only the beginning as from what I hear NFC will spy even more in the background. They will know which store you are in and how long you stay there, even what counter you paused to look at a particular item. You will see that item in an ad the same day, just for you!:p

Get used to it as the they WILL be selling this to whom ever and even the government will be buying this info!

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Verizon Monitoring App Usage and Data

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html

One statement I want to quote and am curious about:"We're able to view just everything that they do," Bill Diggins, U.S. chief for the Verizon Wireless marketing initiative"

Does that mean even under "Private" browsing they can see what we do? I use this feature 24/7 when i'm not on my personal wi-fi for banking, logging into my e-mail etc via the web.

15. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Sure they can. The data is still traveling over their network.

The private option in a browser only keeps other users of that same browser from seeing what sites you went to, etc, when using the same phone/computer after you do.

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

application layer switches can see everything along with Narus and other network monitoring hardware that is used to monitor the network to make sure everything is OK

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Already being discussed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1470311 (this is still on page 1, BTW; please try searching before starting a new thread.)

18. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Big whoopy deal. Did you know your bank tracks your credit/debit card usage?

Bottom line is that MANY services we all receive in life are because of businesses figuring out what we like/dislike, etc.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Also forgot to mention that you can go into your security settings and opt out.