Verizon just gave me an early upgrade for $20.00

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ivabign, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until July '12 - but as I was looking at my family account to see if I wanted to use one of the other available lines to get a 4s to replace my 4 - I saw that my line was eligible... WTF? Verizon?

Hell, why not - it would be dumb not to - I can get $350 for my 4...

It was apparently one calendar year after my last upgrade...

Couldn't think of a reason not to do it.... hopefully they'll let me do it again in a year (I have 4 lines - avg bill $180) - and still have a line with an available upgrade....

So if you have Verizon - you may be eligible for an early upgrade - (they charged $20.00)

I get it tomorrow...

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Verizon is usually very giving in terms of early upgrades. They don't want to lose customers by locking them into contracts.

I called in about a faulty Droid X at the beginning of the year and told them I am sick of getting it replaced so they went ahead and gave me an early upgrade for FREE. Got the iPhone 4 with it.

3. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I've early upgraded two years in a row like this. Hopefully I can do it again this summer.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

4. drkryn macrumors member

It's just an annual upgrade for being the primary line on the account. This will be the last time you get this since Verizon has stopped allowing annual upgrades.

5. Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

You're right - I did a bit of digging regarding the change in Verizon policy right before the iPhone came out - there was an every year upgrade for the primary line - (if the plan was $99 or more) they stopped the program in January - right before the Feb launch - My primary line had been upgraded in late October - so I had one left....

We'll see when 12 months rolls around if there is another chance - but you might be right - I could be shooting myself in the foot and not be able to upgrade again until July 2013....

No trouble with my 4 right now, no reason to upgrade - I just didn't think I should leave a free phone on the table.... (it will actually make me a couple of bucks)

First world problems.... hmmm

6. drkryn macrumors member

There is no chance of having another annual upgrade if you already used it. It's gone forever. The only weird thing is why you were charged $20 to upgrade. Annual upgrades do not cost anything to use.

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

that was not my experience, they denied me flat out and I was in about that time frame and have had an account with 4 lines and for over ten years!

Consider yourself lucky, not the norm!

8. Ivabign thread starter macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I thought the charge was funny as well - but in addition to the early upgrade, my line also had a "new in two" discount that the system told me I couldn't redeem until July 2012 - I will find out if that is still there after this transaction is complete.

9. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Cool deal. My AT&T Family plan gives me an upgrade every year. The wife has to wait 18 months. Her upgrade is available in December.

10. drkryn macrumors member

It's "New Every Two" and once you use an annual upgrade you will be forfeiting that credit.