Verizon launches 27 new cell sites in anticipation of iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 13, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

New cell sites in...

California: Union City, Fremont, Sunnyvale, Pacifica, Pinole, San Jose, Vernalis, Sacramento, Granite Bay, and South San Francisco.

NY Metro: 5 in Rockland, 3 in Westchester, 7 on Long Island and 1 up state.

1 in Nevada

http://news.vzw.com/

2. NKT macrumors regular

Not just towers, but a ton of capacity as well.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What do these new cell towers have to do with the iPhone? Towers often take years to get approved and built. The iPhone has nothing to do with new towers coming online no matter how good it may sound.

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

how does it not have anything to do with the iphone, it's another tower that an iphone can use and from the sound of the press release this wasn't tan announcement of a new planned tower. this tower is up and running now.

probably should take the verizon hate somewhere else

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Just the fact that we hear some sort of expansion is night and day compared to what we've had over the past few years: "Seth the Blogger Guy" and "Rethink Possible," neither of which has helped our cause.

So, good for Big Red. Whatever is going to make the iPhone experience better, I'm all for it.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's another cell that can be used by any cell phone. Nothing there specific to the iPhone. Take the Verizon love somewhere else. :)

7. zephxiii macrumors 6502

That's not a whole lot really, if you look at AT&T news ticker, they have a lot more than that listed....

8. xmnj macrumors member

But the addition of towers by Verizon is normal business as usual. If you read their past archives, they are always adding towers and capacity, and has been doing so for years.

9. MissyD macrumors member

Yep. The timing makes for a nice press release, though. "Looky how much we love the new iPhone customers. We're adding new towers to make them feel all warm and fuzzy." ;)

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hate? LMAO. Fanboys are funny. I own many hundreds of shares of AAPL. I love ATT and Verizon. I'm now going to divert some of my love to Sprint and T-Mobile by writing a letter to investor relations.

11. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOLWUT?

They specifically state in press releases that these towers are in anticipation for the iPhone. This doesn't mean that users of other devices can't take advantage of them. But, they are certainly trying to reduce the issues in large metropolitan areas that the AT&T iPhones experienced (i.e. dropped calls in mid-town Manhattan) and probably also the issues on activation day that AT&T experienced.

The Verizon iPhone has been a project between Apple and Verizon for the past two years. So your 'building and approval' probably began then. This isn't rocket science.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Silly me. It is nice to see some common sense in a thread with Verizon in the title

13. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You don't just decide to build a tower in two days and do it. It takes YEARS.

14. stewart715, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh??

Yes, it takes YEARS. As in probably for the past 2 YEARS that Verizon has been working with Apple. What are you people missing here?

These are simple facts from official press releases. Is it that much to handle that Verizon would do such a thing? Is it REALLY that surprising that a cell company would produce..cell..sites..? The ignorance here is astounding.

These aren't iPhone only cell sites. The thread title nor any press release states that. They were built in anticipation of the extra traffic after the release of the iPhone. It is simply a supplement to their current cell sites. Verizon Wireless just tweeted about how calls will be easier to make in usually low signal areas. What is so hard to understand about this? :confused::confused::confused:

The announcement stated that the cell sites are now ready, after 'YEARS' of building, testing, etc...

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

So does this mean it's unusual for verizon to put up new towers, expand the network, and add capacity? Have they not put up a site it years, but did so now specifically for the iPhone?

16. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm sure they have done so as they normally would but added extra capacity in the metro areas over the past two years to simply avoid the issues that AT&T couldn't.

Apple execs and Verizon execs admitted that this CDMA iPhone wasn't made overnight. They knew it was coming to Verizon this very month, 2 years ago. So, they started building because they know that it takes 'YEARS'.

17. schwell macrumors regular

Obviously all the carriers bring up new towers all the time. This is just marketing BS to take advantage of iPhone hype.

18. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not BS. I live in Westchester (where 3 new cell sites were built) and I've noticed a great deal of extra signal in my home in the past 2 weeks, where I normally didn't receive the best signal. Where I used to get 2 bars in my living room I now get 4 on average.

19. stewart715, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you have AT&T and are happy, that is great. But it's no reason to hate on Verizon (or visa versa). If AT&T launched new cell sites, I would have posted the same exact thread for AT&T's purposes.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Maybe they will add some towers in the Boston suburbs so I can call from my house 2 miles from 128.

21. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this thread is just hilarious, the new towers help all verizon users. and that is the bottom line, they are expanding their network. it has everything to do with the iphone and it has everything to do with every other phone that verizon has. and i'm sure the people in those areas are happy about it too.

as for being a fanboy... sorry wrong again, i don't really care who the carriers are. but i don't l ike seeing inaccurate statements. and saying a new cell tower whether it is att or verizon has nothing to do with the iphone is an inaccurate statement. unless they are banning iphones from hitting that tower then you can make that statement. otherwise it is simple fanboy hate. i don't even understand how att became inseparable from the iphone brand on this forum.

i suppose if apple tv were offered through cable providers there would be plenty of threads about how bad comcast is compared to time warner and vice versa

22. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't get it either. I thought iPhone's on more carriers was good for Apple and thus it's products for it's customers.