Verizon Looks to End 3G Service, Go All 4G LTE By 2013?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, May 20, 2011.

1. wxman2003 Suspended

So will verizon replace my iphone for free? Not everyone replace their phones every year or two, so forcing people to change their phones and sticking them on another 2 year contact would suck. I shouldnt have pay another $200 to switch to another iphone, when the one i have works fine. Verizon will lose me as a customer on principle if I am forced to get a new phone.

2. patp Guest

Same here. I am content with my iPhone 4 as is. I don't need or want 4g speeds. I can see myself sticking with this phone for 2-3 years.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I wouldn't worry to much about them getting rid of 3g so quickly.. some things in that article don't add up.

They say "A few important things were said by Verizon’s CTO of Communications, the most important to us is that he is nudging at the end of 3G service altogether by the year 2013."

Then they say "Verizon has already told us that they want 4G across 2/3 of the US by 2013"

So how would you end 3G service when you only have 2/3 of the US covered?

"Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment."

So by the end of 2012 all devices should be LTE capable.. meaning some in 2012 won't be. There is no way they are going to give all those people still under two year contracts new phones. If they tried to force people to new phones while they were still under contract and didn't offer to do it for free they would get sued and probably lose.

It takes years at least a few years to phase out a technology like that. That article just isn't adding up. It sounds like this was a Q&A session and they took a bunch of answers and tried to mix them together and came to the wrong conclusion.

And now for my required shot at android... what do you expect from droid-life?

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Add to the fact that the resale value of the iphone 4 and all other verizon 3g android phones will be zero if that happens. People will not be very happy at all. I will start buying unlocked phones at full price if that happens and go elsewhere as i wish. Stupid move by Verizon.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

It's not going to happen. Too many people hold on to phones for years before they upgrade.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can see all new phones launching with 4G / LTE by then (possibly) but I don't see Verizon tearing down 3G transmitters just because.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    He did not say that 3g was going away

Typical poor reporting. I weep for the internet.

He did _not_ say that 3G was going away.

All he said was that by 2013, some devices might have just LTE, as there would be no need for them to also have 3G radios to be covered by Verizon.

LTE based news cameras were one example he gave, removing the need for satellite trucks. Kiosks were another. Note that these have no problem with power sources.

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Poor poor article.

I guarantee you EVDO (3G) will still be in the process of being *installed* in 2013.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

No sense for me to get all wound up about LTE since the rapture will end this debate on Saturday. :D

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    And for those of us left behind, all the suddenly available extra bandwidth will seem like heaven.

Heh heh :)

11. wxman2003 Suspended

If I am one of the lucky ones who gets to float away, do I still have to pay the ETF?

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

One word: No

13. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=208111&f_src=lightreading_gnews

This article clears It up. VZW is not abandoning it 3G network.

The original author of the first article must have mis quoted the vzw cto