Verizon Network Extender

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reputationZed, Oct 14, 2012.

1. reputationZed macrumors 65816

A bit of a crosspost, I started a similar thread on the peripherals forum a week ago but I'm not getting any feedback there, and thought I might get better response on the iPhone forum. I'm trying to set up a Verizon Network Extender to improve the cell coverage in my house but I'm not having much luck. I get solid blue LED's on Power, GPS and WAN, but I'm getting a solid red LED on SYS. Verizon tech support had me run a VoIP test on 8x8.com. The test showed I'm getting QoS of 65-78%. According to Verizon I need a QoS of at least 80%. I'm working with my ISP to improve my QoS. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone using a VNE, did you have configuration problems, if so how did you fix them. If VNE is working for you could you run the VoIP Readiness Test on 8x8.com and let me know what your upstream and downstream QoS numbers
    are.

http://www.8x8.com/Resources/Tools/VoIPTest.aspx

If your interested in hearing the whole story
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1465520

2. Fergie20 macrumors member

I am currently using a network extender at my work due to the infrastructure of the building. I had issues getting a clear GPS shot and my Internet was slow. Somehow after trying several times I got it up and running however I had several callers complain that I was skipping and my voice echoed. This was due to my Internet not being up to par. Since, my company upgraded our service and I grt no problems.

3. reputationZed thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Fergie20. I found quite a few threads on other forums where GPS lock on was an issue. Verizon even states it may take up to an hour to acquire GPS. Interestingly enough I acquire GPS lock on within a minute or so.

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Quick question, sorry to thread jack. I had the AT&T "microcell" network extender. Worked well, but it took a long time to actually make an outgoing call, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Does the Verizon one have the same issue?

5. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I use one and unfortunately they are a pain! When they work they work great but if you get weather or some how it gets knocked of line my phone turns into an iPod! It sucks but I personally have no other option but to deal with it. But I hate the damn thing. Its always something with it.

6. wenglish macrumors member

Why do both the Network Extender and 3G Microcell require a GPS lock? Are they trying to make sure you're not trying to use your phone out of the country?

7. Fergie20 macrumors member

The Verizon network extender connects fairly quickly. The GPS signal is needed for E911 calls. I think this may be a law. Traditionally emergency services can pinpoint your phone via cell towers or by having your phone selected for the service. With the network extender, because it is essentially using VOIP and not the cell towers to boost signal, it needs the GPS locked in.

8. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

The GPS is also used to make sure that the extender is only used in areas where Verizon has a spectrum license.

9. wenglish macrumors member

Ah, right, I forgot (duh!) it transmits a 3G signal. I'm used to T-Mobile's UMA which uses Wi-Fi (and can be used anywhere you have a strong enough Wi-Fi signal).