Verizon new plans 6/28...compare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericinboston, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Hi all. Verizon seems to be changing their plans on 6/28. I'm not sure if they are better/worse/cheaper/etc. The new plan is some kind of Share Everything plan.

My sister wishes to buy a new iPhone and that is the only wireless device she will own...so there is no need for any kind of plan that will encompass numerous computers/laptops/ipod/ipads/etc. This will be her first Apple product. Yup.

So...does anyone have a comparison chart of the Verizon plans today vs. what will change on 6/28? I can't seem to find anything on the Verizon site...especially for people signing up with a new iPhone and becoming a new Verizon customer.

Should I push her to sign up now? Or wait for the new plans? Again, this will be her only wireless device so all she is going to do is call/text/email/surf. I just gave her a router at her house and everywhere else she goes has WIFI...so the Verizon network will be rarely used for data.

Thanks in advance!

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Is she going to be on a single or family plan?

3. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Single

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Hmm Verizon will cost you $90 a month for 2gb data, ~400 voice, and unlimited text.

If she doesn't have to stick Verizon, I would go Straight talk prepaid, $45 unlimited voice/talk/3gb data. Even if you buy new phone outright from apple, it still saves you more $$.

I would just buy a used one from craigslist or ebay

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is a good idea, if you have good T-Mobile or AT&T service in your area.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

The new plans DEFINATELY aren't worth it if you're an individual. Heck, even under the current (soon to expire) pricing scheme they're still really really pricy.

Tell her to go pre-paid or put her on your account.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Unless Verizon is the only game in town, it's simply not worth going to for individual plan users.

Heck ATT and even Sprint aren't worth going to for individual plan users.

So is a company paying her cell phone bill? Even with a significant 20-25% corporate discount, it's not not worth it for individual plans.

Here's the simple math:I believe Verizon will not offer tiered minutes plans to NEW Verizon users. Verizon will let grandfathered tiered minutes users keep their tiered minutes.

So her only option will be:

$40 for smartphone access (includes unlimited minutes/text) plus $50/1GB
    That's $90/month
    2 year contract. $90x24 = $2160 (that's before taxes) so the real number is closers to $2400 assuming at least 10-15% in cell phone taxes in your monthly bill

Plus subsidized costs of the iPhone ($199 PLUS $30 activation charge for new or old users). So $230.

Total cost is $2160 (really $2400 with taxes plus $230). Total is ($2390 before taxes) and close to $2600 24 month cost total.

Now let's look at prepay:
    Straight Talk (GSM/ uses ATT network).
    $45 for unlimited text/talk/2GB data
    $45x 24 months equals $1080 (all taxes are included).

Plus $650 for true unlocked iPhone.

Total 24 month cost is $1730 for prepaid.

You would be saving close to over $900 over a 2 year period with prepaid as an individual plan user over using a post-paid plan with Verizon.

8. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info folks...but she would really stay on a major carrier like Verizon or ATT. She also lives near the beach so she would be very upset if she got into some carrier that had terrible service on the shoreline. Verizon rocks for coverage...ATT is ok. I think she's either going to go with Verizon or ATT.

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Straight talk = ATT, its just prepaid instead of postpaid. FYI.