Verizon No Longer Offering Annual Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojo pin, Sep 9, 2012.

1. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

I apologize in advance for asking this but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Prior to this I have always been able to do an annual upgrade rather than having to wait the standard two years because I'm the main line on our family plan. I just assumed I could still do that, and had my heart set on getting the new iPhone. Now I'm being told that Verizon did away with the annual upgrade and I'm worried. Is that really true?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, it's true. People actually have to fulfill the 24mo. contract they signed on the line and said they would before receiving another drastically subsidized phone. Sorry.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

Verizon did away with the Annual Upgrade and New Every two marketing plans.

I was told "They are no longer part of new service plans".

Some may still have a credit but the easiest way to find out is to call them and ask if you are eligible to upgrade.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

AT&T still offers an upgrade a little sooner (18 months I think) - as for your predicament, you might try selling your iPhone. The money may cover most of the difference between the upgrade price and the full price.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

For a cost.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Verizon did away with the one-year contracts at least two years ago, probably longer.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I'm always eligible for the full discount at eighteen months. I'm at about ten months now and eligible for a partial subsidy (full plus $250).

10. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

Thank you for the replies, everyone! That all makes sense to me because the last time I upgraded was March of 2011, so that wasn't too long after they did away with it. They probably let me use my last upgrade at that time so I'm doubting that I have any credit now. But I'm going to call and check. If I don't, it looks like I'll be adding a line to my plan! I guess that wouldn't be too bad because the line I'm using now can be dropped in March, so I would only be paying for the extra line until then.

As for selling my current phone, I have an HTC Incredible 2 right now - not an iPhone unfortunately. :( So I don't think I'd get too much for it to go toward buying the new iPhone at full price. But, I still may consider selling it to put toward the additional amount I'll be paying on my plan for the new line. :rolleyes:

11. andross77 macrumors regular

If you have to add a line to your plan so that you can "afford" the next iPhone it means you can't afford the new iPhone.

Do you understand?

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

att will allow the subsidized upgrade at 6 months :)

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Not for everyone.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's normal to charge something. 1 year contract agreements used to carry a higher phone cost than 2 year agreements. I just haven't seen many single year contracts in a while.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I agree. What I was clarifying, for the Newbies (as we've had the annual influx from them b/c of the iPhone product cycle) is that...

"Yes," one can upgrade early with AT&T, but it's not a free upgrade. It's the price of the phone plus $250 plus the upgrade fee.

16. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I have no credit for a discounted upgrade but I figured out that it would be cheaper for me to just terminate my current line early since there's not a whole lot of time left on it, and start up a new line to get the phone on. It'll only cost around $170 to terminate, as opposed to paying around $400 extra on my plan until I can terminate my current line with no penalties. So... kind of a no-brainer.

And now that I know whatever phone I have is one I'll have for the full two years, I'll be much more careful with what I buy. I feel a lot better knowing I'll have an iPhone for that long as opposed to a Droid. It's not so much a matter of the "latest and greatest" for me, it's about what will actually work for that long! The Droid I have now is the only one that's come close to being able to last the full two years. That's pathetic. I think (hope) the iPhone will be much more reliable for a longer period of time.

17. kicko macrumors 65816

as far as i know and from my current plan Verizon offers upgrades at 18 months same as AT&T

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What is this country coming to when phone carriers ask you to honor your 24mo commitment? I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure we can blame George Bush for this one as well.

19. cruisencode macrumors member

I'd ask them if you can keep your current number if you do this. I thought you couldn't, but I could be wrong.

20. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I don't really think it's necessary for YOU to tell ME what I can and cannot afford. You know absolutely nothing about me or my financial situation. And you've clearly completely missed the point. The reason that I would need to add a line IS BECAUSE I AM NOT CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE FOR A DISCOUNTED UPGRADE ON MY LINE. Are you honestly telling me that you think everyone out there who owns an iPhone can/could afford to just buy one outright? **** no. Why do you think there are so many posts on here about people scrambling to figure out how to get the new phone at the discounted upgrade price? People do this all the time! Newsflash honey, not everyone out there can afford to drop $800 on a phone. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY CAN'T "AFFORD" TO HAVE IT, OR THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE TO HAVE IT. That's honestly the dumbest, most arrogant and IGNORANT post I've read thus far on this forum, which is saying a lot.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I was offered the same upgrade on my contract, i joined in May of 2011 and, looking at my Verizon account on-line i can get an early upgrade in Januray.

Still trying to decide if i want to do that or just buy the iP5 out right to keep my unlimited data.

22. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I'm unsure about this as well. I will definitely have to ask. On one hand, you'd think that if they terminate my line first, that should free up that number and they should be able to use it on the new one. But maybe they can't just assign the number like that. It would be a pain in the butt to have to get a new number... But at the same time, there are certain people I wouldn't mind not getting calls from anymore. :D

23. willmtaylor, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Maybe not the fully non-subsidized $800, but definitely the part about one feeling entitled to things that one can't afford (especially such "necessities" as iPhones).

I'm thinking we can (at least partially) blame Obama for the entitlement issues above. ;) Maybe you & I should pay more for iPhones so that others (who don't work/save for them) can have them too? :D

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I will not be a part of blaming Obama for anything for fear of being labeled a racist. I'm much more comfortable with dropping this one on a old redneck.

25. willmtaylor, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That is a much more PC topic. (No pun intended).