Verizon - No more unlimited data plan when upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chilady1, May 17, 2012.

1. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

I was grandfathered into an unlimited data plan with Verizon for over 4 years now. Given today's annoucement that upon upgrading, folks with unlimited data plans will now have to move to a tiered plan - what's a girl to do?

I am considering dropping Verizon and moving to Sprint which "claims" to have an unlimited data plan (although I have read, it is not truly unlimited). I can't say I am not surprised by this announcement and quite honestly, I could just keep my iPhone 4s and not upgrade to the new iPhone 5 when it comes out.

Just curious as to others thoughts on this.

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Just sell the 4s and use that to buy the next iPhone off contract. If you don't get a subsidized phone then your contract will stay the same.

3. drkryn macrumors member

This was expected. I currently have an LTE Android phone with double the data that gives me 10gb of data for $50. Should be more than enough for me. And I also have an eligible upgrade with a loyalty discount that I've been hanging on to.

Verizon dropping the unlimited plan does not bother me at all. And I actually think I'm in a better position with my double the data plan than those will be once they upgrade and have to choose from a basic data plan months from now.

4. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Won't work. 4G plans are technically not the same as 3G plans. Even if he doesn't sign a new contract, he will have to choose from one of the current service plans in order to activate a new 4G device.

5. frank.deale macrumors regular

My wife upgraded yesterday in New York City from a 3G Palm Pre + to a 4G Droid 4. She was unlimited and they “grandfathered” her into the new contract notwithstanding what Verizon has been saying.

6. TyShawn macrumors 6502

The new plans have not taken affect. They will be releasing later this summer, once that happens then customers will start to have trouble with loosing their plans.

7. frostbyte32 macrumors member

Any clues as to when this will go into effect? My wife is due to upgrade at the begining of June and is wanting to get her first iPhone.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

The new policy will be in effect shortly before LTE iPhone is released.

So your wife can prob ably still use full subsidy upgrade for iPhone 4S in June when she is eligible.

But zero percent chance she can wait till LTE iPhone (sixth generation iPhone) to use that subsidy.

9. JAT macrumors 603

Sounds like July for VZW's change. I've been asking every agent I come across. Somehow doubt the LTE iPhone will be out in time.

None of this for sure, of course.

10. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Let's all tell Verizon to shove it, move to Sprint.

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I wouldn't move to Sprint, even for unlimited data. Sprint's iPhone speeds are very slow.

We have iPhones with 3 providers. I had my sister do speedtest on her Sprint iPhone and she's "surfing" at 300mbps. Our Verizon iPhone is at 1.5mbps and the AT&T iPhone is at 2.9mbps.

12. briantaylor619 macrumors member

I never understand this move :confused:

So you break your contract with your current carrier, pay an etf, and sign a new contract with a new carrier that promises unlimited data the same way verizon used to. What happens when Sprint does the same thing to you in the future and kills unlimited? Pay ANOTHER etf to break the contract and go where exactly?

13. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Yeah, in Philly VZ is king. I'm not worried about being tiered data, I'm only using 1-2gb per month anyway.

My buddy is on Sprint and it is slooooooooooooow. He's considering a jump to T-mobile that's how bad it is.

14. Dkorda macrumors 6502

True, Sprint is complete crap when it comes to 3G speeds. But what about Sprint LTE? Might be worth the wait.

15. TyShawn macrumors 6502

My issue has never really been about the amount of data I used, but my pricing going up. As stated earlier I was lucky to get in on the VZW Family plan special they had for select customers. So my bill could jump dramatically.