Verizon One-time Activation Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnificant, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about switching to Verizon from ATT.

We will be upgrade to the new iPhone when released.

They want to charge $35 One-time Activation Fee for each phone!

Which is rediculous.

Has anyone have any luck on getting around this fee.

$70 for 2 phone One-time Activation

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you call them and they're happy to waive it most often.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is news? $35 activation/upgrade fee is rather common.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

If it means you wont sign up with them... they will waive it most likely. Play hardball.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

This is how you get around activation fees 100% of the time:

ATT and Verizon reps work on commission. Walk into the store, tell them what you want, get up to the register and when they advise you of the activation fee, you merely say "sir/ma'am, i would like you to please waive that fee. i realize you work off commission and if you want to charge me the fee, i'll just go to antoher store and give the commission to a rep who WILL waive the fee."

done.

these reps are often in college and looking for as much money as possible. you'll be surprised at what you can get out of them by just telling them you'll go and give commission to a different rep.

this often works in other areas of sales as well, not just phones.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Nothing more than a money grab. Sign up or upgrade phones on any of the big three and you will pay an activation fee.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's $1 cheaper than AT&T's activation fee, which I've been told by several reps will not or cannot be waived.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've been told this as well.

9. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

It never hurts to ask, in fact I activated my new iPad 3 on Verizon and the rep didn't even charge me and didn't even mention the activation fee.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

God, my fiancee wanted to get AT&T navigator, and I knew that Apple maps (along with 40 other applications) can or will be able to turn by turn, but I appeased her and agreed to a monthly fee of like $7. Instead AT&T charged me $70 for the year (I was hoping to cancel once iOS 6 came out). Now they won't drop the charge. All told, the first bill was something like $300 for two people. Consider me perturbed.

11. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

AT&T won't cancel the navigator app (which is overpriced), that is an add-on feature not a required feature. I would fight that charge back to the original date you requested it be canceled.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Stupid me never thought to even question the activation fee when I got my iPhone 4S but when I mentioned the fee to a neighbor, he said he always asks them to waive the fee and it seems that's all it takes. Although I'm sure with my luck it won't work when I try it.

13. Trash Can macrumors member

OP, are you eligible for a corporate discount? Mine includes waiving all VZW activation fees. If possible, set up your account through the internal link provided by your company before you place your initial order.