Carrier Verizon people. You want wifi calling? You got it...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evilrt, Oct 15, 2015.

1. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

Attached Files:

2. Silver Idaten, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

That's the Verizon way of doing something that customers want. Push it on some Verizon bloat app and block the method already implanted within the phone.

3. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Stupid. I don't want another app. I want it to be hard wired in the phone like Apple has allowed them to do. Lame.

4. ROLLTIDE1 Suspended

5. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Never trust VZW.

6. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Last place Verizon, trailing behind as usual.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Source?

8. ROLLTIDE1 Suspended

Verizon apps are always spyware central support uses IOS one to tell all kinds of info about your iphone and I scanned the android one and it's downright scary the info that it needs

9. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Never settle (for Verizon's bull****).

10. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

They are the worst. Unfortunately, their coverage is great. Hard to leave then, if you travel often and need good coverage.

11. southflguy macrumors regular

I've been through all the carriers and always came back to Verizon. In my experience the greatest coverage, quality and reliability and their data speeds are among the best. However, why the heck are they always SO late at adopting new tech? I currently have a grandfathered unlimited plan but have thought about switching to T-Mobile because of pricing. Not sure what to do - T-Mobile has improved indoor reception with now having band 12 which was an issue.

12. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I don't understand why Verizon would need an App to implement this feature when carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile are using it within the OS on the iPhone.

13. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Because Verizon and their 'we have the best network' mentality think they can do whatever they want. They are bleeding customers because people are fed up with them.

14. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Are they charging their customers for this App/feature?

15. mbaran macrumors regular

Message+ is free. I've been using it on android as a way to send/receive SMS while on WiFi.

How (if at all) does this app integrate with Message for SMS?

16. bas.o macrumors newbie

bas.o

Its a redundant app for ios users. Tried it out for 5 mins then deleted the app.

17. mbaran macrumors regular

But it does allow for WiFi calling, just tried it on my iPad

18. bas.o macrumors newbie

bas.o

Agreed. I usually have my iPhone by me so when I'm on the iPad, I can make outgoing calls on the iPad. Neat feature of iOS. But I am waiting patiently for vzw to allow native iOS wifi calling on the iPhone, without the app.

19. mbaran macrumors regular

I think for now I will just leave it installed and enabled. In the off chance that there is no cellular, the app does seem pretty good at ringing. I've been playing with it for a few minutes over here.

But it does seem redundant to have SMS in both the Message+ and iOS Messages app. I assume there's no sync between the two, so are you supposed to just use that to send messages on WiFi only? It's definitely redundant.

Maybe it's a beta of WiFi calling before they enable it at the OS level?

20. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

Cheap and easy beta testing?

21. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I honestly don't think that's going to happen, knowing Verizon. I think this is it.

22. JakeT85, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

This is garbage. I hope this isn't really their final solution. I shouldn't have to open a third party app dialer when my native phone app supports this. This method leads to; loss of use to dial with siri, no handoff to LTE, no Qos, Verizon spyware on my phone that I don't want (most likely so they can track something to use with their new add network), and duplicate notifications for texts. No thank you. If this turns out to be the final product I will be going to one of the other carriers.

23. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Go to another carrier anyway. Verizon is the absolute worst when it comes to providing for their customers, and the only way they'll get the message is if they lose more lines, even if it's to AT&T. They may suck too, but at least they gave their customers Wi-Fi calling and Rollover Data.

Meanwhile, Verizon's #1 toolbag Fran Shammo has gone on record saying they will not offer their customers rollover data, they will not compete on price, and Wi-Fi calling is not a priority because they think their network is so great.

Drop the bastards.

24. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I like VZW, their customer service and their network as I travel all of the country. I have no current plans to move to another carrier because of an internet post. The app is really cool and it bothers me not that wifi calling is embedded in an app, rather than some switches in settings. That I can now call and receive calls from any idevice is actually really nice.

25. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

On my ipad, works like a champ...if this app is installed on iphone I can see the issue...to use wifi calling have to put the phone in airplan mode and then enable wifi. I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world, not the best either, but it does fill a niche. But typical stuff, VZW enhances some functionality, which nobody has to really use and people are complaining about the way it's implemented instead of enjoying an added feature.