Verizon Phones Directly From Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrm74001, Sep 7, 2014.

1. rrm74001 macrumors 6502

rrm74001

I thought I read something about this not too long ago, but I was not able to find anything in the quick search that I did.

Ideally, I would like to pre-order a Verizon iPhone 6 as soon as I am able to. I want to pay full price (contract-free). Currently, on the online Apple Store, it looks like I cannot buy a contract-free Verizon iPhone 5s. I can buy an unlocked phone, but it says specifically:

Do I really have to go to a Verizon store to buy an contract-free iPhone? Also, I thought the Verizon iPhone 5/5s was basically the "unlocked" phone anyway?

2. Mars Is Waiting macrumors member

Mars Is Waiting

I think you have that mixed up. The Apple Store will sell you a contract-free iPhone, mind you, at a very high price (the 5S 64 GB is $849 right now).

3. rrm74001 thread starter macrumors 6502

rrm74001

How about online? That is compatible with Verizon? I can't seem to be able to do that.

I see the "SIM-Free" unlocked option for $649, but it is only GSM compatible, and it says specifically that it will not work with Verizon.

4. rrm74001 thread starter macrumors 6502

rrm74001

This answered my question:

SOURCE

Basically, the Verizon iPhones are "unlocked", but only for 3G. Truly unlocked iPhones will work on any GSM network with both 3G and LTE.

I am not sure how well known this is. I read all the time that Verizon iPhones are unlocked, but it is not unlocked in a way that most people probably expect.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Verizon iPhones are completely unlocked for everything, including LTE. It doesn;t matter if you buy on contract, through edge, or outright. You can pop a sim from another network in and you are good to go without restrictions.

That article is pointing out hardware limitations, specifically in early version of the VZW iPhone 5. The 5S, 5C, and certainly everything after them will have no such limitations.

6. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I need a Verizon iP 6 too, looks like theres no option to specifically purchase that version currently with the 5s, so I'm assuming it will be the same with the 6. Looks like I will have to go the Apple Store :/

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Day after the launch of the 5S I walked into the Apple store and they had 32GB gold Verizon 5S. I bought that for my wife (she is on AT&T) and it worked just fine. I don't see why this would change, so yeah, Apple store it is.

It looks like online Verizon orders aren't able to be done on Apple.com, for whatever reason.

8. rrm74001 thread starter macrumors 6502

rrm74001

So...the "unlocked" iPhone 5S will ONLY work on GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

But...the Verizon iPhone 5S will work on Verizon AND GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

So then why isn't the "unlocked" iPhone the Verizon iPhone?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes, yes, and I have no idea lol. Probably because every verizon phone has to be in their system and it doesn't make sense for Verizon to add every single iPhone meant for the American GSM market into their system too.

The only reason the Verizon iPhones with LTE are unlocked is because of a legally binding contract verizon signed when purchasing spectrum. if they had a choice, it would be locked down just like all the tohers.

10. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I can't wait until 2015 when the smartphone unlock bill is in effect and ******* carriers like Verizon and Sprint are forced to unlock the smartphones their customers have paid for :D

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AFAIK, that bill isn't going to force all carriers to sell unlocked phones. It simply legalizes unlocking services.

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

AFAIK, basically everyone is already vluntarily complying with this, and have been for quite some time, aside from some pay as you go carriers (and Maybe SPRINT?).

Also, Verizon already sells phones unlocked straight out of the door regardless of contract or "Edge" status. Isn;t that actually what most of this thread is about?

12. rrm74001 thread starter macrumors 6502

rrm74001

Are there any legal roadblocks that prevent Apple from just selling an unlocked iPhone that works on ANY AND ALL carriers?

13. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I don't think so, it may be Verizon doing this because they don't want ghost ESN's in there database if someone is gonna use it on a gsm carrier.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Legal roadblocks? No. But Verizon literally has to register the ESN on their network. If they don't do that, Apple can't do a darn thing. There is nothing forcing Verizon to accept any and all phones on their networks. Not yet anyway.

----------

It's just because of the antiquated CDMA technology. It requires a way to add a specific phone to the network without a sim card because it doesn;t use a sim card. It's possible that once they shut down CDMA things will work like they do on GSM carriers, but only time will tell.