Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I thought I read something about this not too long ago, but I was not able to find anything in the quick search that I did.

Ideally, I would like to pre-order a Verizon iPhone 6 as soon as I am able to. I want to pay full price (contract-free). Currently, on the online Apple Store, it looks like I cannot buy a contract-free Verizon iPhone 5s. I can buy an unlocked phone, but it says specifically:

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T or T-Mobile in the United States. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA-based carriers, including Sprint and Verizon Wireless.

Do I really have to go to a Verizon store to buy an contract-free iPhone? Also, I thought the Verizon iPhone 5/5s was basically the "unlocked" phone anyway?

Mars Is Waiting

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
USA
Do I really have to go to a Verizon store to buy an contract-free iPhone? Also, I thought the Verizon iPhone 5/5s was basically the "unlocked" phone anyway?

I think you have that mixed up. The Apple Store will sell you a contract-free iPhone, mind you, at a very high price (the 5S 64 GB is $849 right now).

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I think you have that mixed up. The Apple Store will sell you a contract-free iPhone, mind you, at a very high price (the 5S 64 GB is $849 right now).

How about online? That is compatible with Verizon? I can't seem to be able to do that.

I see the "SIM-Free" unlocked option for $649, but it is only GSM compatible, and it says specifically that it will not work with Verizon.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
This answered my question:

Verizon 4G LTE devices are unlocked out of the box
One thing to note here in terms of software phone locks is that all Verizon 4G LTE smartphones come unlocked out of the box. The reason why is that the spectrum Verizon is using to build its 4G LTE network had restrictions put on it by the Federal Communications Commission, which required the company to allow "open access" to the network. So as part of this provision, Verizon has decided not to lock those devices. That said, its 3G devices are locked.

So what does this mean for the average consumer? Let's take the iPhone 5 as an example. It's a 4G LTE device. A Verizon version of this phone comes unlocked out of the box. There aren't special codes that need to be entered in order to use it on another carrier's network. But because of the spectrum differences I mentioned above, a Verizon iPhone 5 won't operate on AT&T's LTE network. It will operate on AT&T's 3G network, which is based on GSM. So this means you can use the Verizon iPhone on AT&T, but you won't get the fastest Internet speeds on it.

The same is true if you take the Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe. You can swap out the SIM card and put in another carrier's SIM card, but the device will operate only on a GSM-based 3G network. And it won't operate on a faster LTE network.

And even though the phone is unlocked and uses the same CDMA technology and some of the same radio frequency channels as Sprint, an unlocked iPhone 5 won't operate on Sprint.

SOURCE

Basically, the Verizon iPhones are "unlocked", but only for 3G. Truly unlocked iPhones will work on any GSM network with both 3G and LTE.

I am not sure how well known this is. I read all the time that Verizon iPhones are unlocked, but it is not unlocked in a way that most people probably expect.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This answered my question:

SOURCE

Basically, the Verizon iPhones are "unlocked", but only for 3G. Truly unlocked iPhones will work on any GSM network with both 3G and LTE.

I am not sure how well known this is. I read all the time that Verizon iPhones are unlocked, but it is not unlocked in a way that most people probably expect.

Verizon iPhones are completely unlocked for everything, including LTE. It doesn;t matter if you buy on contract, through edge, or outright. You can pop a sim from another network in and you are good to go without restrictions.

That article is pointing out hardware limitations, specifically in early version of the VZW iPhone 5. The 5S, 5C, and certainly everything after them will have no such limitations.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I thought I read something about this not too long ago, but I was not able to find anything in the quick search that I did.

Ideally, I would like to pre-order a Verizon iPhone 6 as soon as I am able to. I want to pay full price (contract-free). Currently, on the online Apple Store, it looks like I cannot buy a contract-free Verizon iPhone 5s. I can buy an unlocked phone, but it says specifically:

I need a Verizon iP 6 too, looks like theres no option to specifically purchase that version currently with the 5s, so I'm assuming it will be the same with the 6. Looks like I will have to go the Apple Store :/

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I need a Verizon iP 6 too, looks like theres no option to specifically purchase that version currently with the 5s, so I'm assuming it will be the same with the 6. Looks like I will have to go the Apple Store :/

Day after the launch of the 5S I walked into the Apple store and they had 32GB gold Verizon 5S. I bought that for my wife (she is on AT&T) and it worked just fine. I don't see why this would change, so yeah, Apple store it is.

It looks like online Verizon orders aren't able to be done on Apple.com, for whatever reason.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Verizon iPhones are completely unlocked for everything, including LTE. It doesn;t matter if you buy on contract, through edge, or outright. You can pop a sim from another network in and you are good to go without restrictions.

That article is pointing out hardware limitations, specifically in early version of the VZW iPhone 5. The 5S, 5C, and certainly everything after them will have no such limitations.

So...the "unlocked" iPhone 5S will ONLY work on GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

But...the Verizon iPhone 5S will work on Verizon AND GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

So then why isn't the "unlocked" iPhone the Verizon iPhone?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So...the "unlocked" iPhone 5S will ONLY work on GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

But...the Verizon iPhone 5S will work on Verizon AND GSM networks with 3G and LTE.

So then why isn't the "unlocked" iPhone the Verizon iPhone?

Yes, yes, and I have no idea lol. Probably because every verizon phone has to be in their system and it doesn't make sense for Verizon to add every single iPhone meant for the American GSM market into their system too.

The only reason the Verizon iPhones with LTE are unlocked is because of a legally binding contract verizon signed when purchasing spectrum. if they had a choice, it would be locked down just like all the tohers.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
The only reason the Verizon iPhones with LTE are unlocked is because of a legally binding contract verizon signed when purchasing spectrum. if they had a choice, it would be locked down just like all the tohers.

I can't wait until 2015 when the smartphone unlock bill is in effect and ******* carriers like Verizon and Sprint are forced to unlock the smartphones their customers have paid for :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can't wait until 2015 when the smartphone unlock bill is in effect and ******* carriers like Verizon and Sprint are forced to unlock the smartphones their customers have paid for :D

AFAIK, that bill isn't going to force all carriers to sell unlocked phones. It simply legalizes unlocking services.

Once the new standards are fully implemented, your postpaid device is eligible to be unlocked after you have fulfilled the applicable service contract, completed the device installment plan or paid an early termination fee. Your prepaid device is eligible to be unlocked no later than one year after activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements.
http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

AFAIK, basically everyone is already vluntarily complying with this, and have been for quite some time, aside from some pay as you go carriers (and Maybe SPRINT?).

Also, Verizon already sells phones unlocked straight out of the door regardless of contract or "Edge" status. Isn;t that actually what most of this thread is about?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
AFAIK, that bill isn't going to force all carriers to sell unlocked phones. It simply legalizes unlocking services.

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

AFAIK, basically everyone is already vluntarily complying with this, and have been for quite some time, aside from some pay as you go carriers (and Maybe SPRINT?).

Are there any legal roadblocks that prevent Apple from just selling an unlocked iPhone that works on ANY AND ALL carriers?

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Are there any legal roadblocks that prevent Apple from just selling an unlocked iPhone that works on ANY AND ALL carriers?

I don't think so, it may be Verizon doing this because they don't want ghost ESN's in there database if someone is gonna use it on a gsm carrier.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Legal roadblocks? No. But Verizon literally has to register the ESN on their network. If they don't do that, Apple can't do a darn thing. There is nothing forcing Verizon to accept any and all phones on their networks. Not yet anyway.

----------

It's just because of the antiquated CDMA technology. It requires a way to add a specific phone to the network without a sim card because it doesn;t use a sim card. It's possible that once they shut down CDMA things will work like they do on GSM carriers, but only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.