Verizon Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Jul 1, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

My wife was waiting for the new iphone to be released to take the juimp into smartphone from a basic phone. My family has unlimited data, text and messaguing all grandfathered in, should I sing her up on an existing phone with my old i4 or wait. She is a very low data used. Mostly talk and text.

What the last day to sign up for the old plans with Verizon?

Thanks

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The boats already sailed. The last day to sign up under the old plans was the 28th. To get her a smartphone on your shared plan you will have to move to a shared plan.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Very incorrect. The OP mentioned his wife has a basic phone right now. You're only forced to switch to shared data when upgrading a current line or adding a new line to the plan.

OP, if you have the iPhone 4, you can add it to your family plans and then just add a data plan. Cheapest would be the 2GB package for $30. If you go to your online account, just click "Change Minutes, Text, Data" and her phone will probably right now say "Pay as you go - 1.99", but you'll also see your other options for data. Since your wife currently has an active line and isn't upgrading, I would add this if you don't have any intention on moving to shared data.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Very well may work but not the way I have been lead to understand it. Everything I've read has said tiered data is gone. If you need to add data to a plan for whatever reason you have to switch to shared. The way I've understood it is you can keep whatever you have but if you add to a family plan you have to change to shared.

5. infinity12402 macrumors member

Ive mentioned this numerous times, but this is straight from verizons website

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If you think about it a minute, how could this be possible. When the OP signed up for a two-year contract and any line under the plan, he was put on his current plan. The basic phone isn't being used to upgrade, his wife would merely be switching plans on tha line. If Verizon forced a switch of plans outside of renewing the contract, the OP would be able to get out of his contract and walk away scot free. They can not force you to switch plans if you aren't upgrading. The only thing they are forcing right now is new customers to go on a shared data plan, new customers don't have a tiered option (unless they are a single line).

That being said, I just went on my Verizon account and with my old iPhone 4 put the ESN in on one of my basic phone lines which is the $1.99 pay as you go and I got the "your current plan is not eligible, please choose from the following". It gave me 2GB, 5GB and 10GB for $30, $50 and $80 for that line. So, no Verizon isn't forcing current customers to switch plans when they switch a device, only when you are upgrading, or in better terms, changing the term of your contract.

7. LoloBond macrumors 6502

you're incorrect too... he's not going to be force into a shared data plan at all... you can keep and upgrade you line at any time. Those with unlimited data will have to drop their unlimited to a 2gb plan.