Verizon Question (Transfering from AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlizzardCyclone, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BlizzardCyclone macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but Im currently a subscriber with AT&T and want to switch over to Verizon and port my number but Im worried I will lose my AT&T service until I receive the preordered Verizon iPhone 5 on 9/21. Can anyone confirm this wil not happen? I think I read on here that I should sign up as a brand new customer and get a brand new number and then when I receive the phone and go to activate it, tell Verizon to port over my old number from AT&T. Just want to make sure this is the case. It sounds sketchy and I just dont wanna get screwed in the end with Verizon service and 2 phone lines (the new number issued to me at signup and my old ported number.) Can someone please advise? Thanks

2. BuckDot macrumors member

3. BlizzardCyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You activate and complete the port upon receiving the phone. AT&T service will be good until you activate your iPhone.

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

The porting process doesn't begin until you activate your new iPhone. I did this when I switched to AT&T from Verizon for the iPhone 4.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i guess the one thing to guarantee a continuation of service until you get your phone is to request a new line and new number with verizon. last year i was in the process of moving over to them. for various reasons, i had phone lines at both t-mobile and verizon for about a month. when i was ready to drop the t-mobile line, i called up verizon, and they ported me over without any problems. good luck with the new line.

7. BlizzardCyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. So ill just preorder tonight and just set it up as new. Thanks