Verizon Razr V3m or New Chocolate coming out July 9th, Bluetooth Support

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by christall109, Jul 5, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I've been reading for the past 4 hours about the bluetooth capabilities of these 2 different phones from verizon (v3m, and the new LG Chocolate coming out July 9th) and wanted to just know some simple bluetooth capabilities.

I know the Razr V3m will not allow file transfer via bluetooth, but how do you exchange photos, videos, and music without flashing the firmware of the phone?

Will the knew Chocolate coming out support bluetooth file exchange, iSync, and work as a bluetooth modem? Also does anyone know of the rumored price of the new chocolate?

:apple: Chris

----------------------
    MacBook Pro CoreDuo 1,1
    iPod Shuffle(Orange)
    iPod G5

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I doubt it.

My advice is ditch verizon and go to AT&T. Verizon is the most price gouging cell phone provider around. Additionally, I hate their operating system that they install on their phones. It advertises VCAST and GET IT NOW everywhere and I don't actually think they test it on their phones before they cell them. The Verizon OS on my razr constantly freezes, does weird random things, and is slow. Apparently the "update" was supposed to fix it but it didn't do much of anything except make the external LCD of my phone only be the color red and could not be a picture. I'll stop my ranting now but basically, verizon disables BT on all of their phones except for use with hands-free devices so that you have to pay them for their services which should otherwise be free.

The V3c also does not support the file exchange unless you have the original firmware like I did. To transfer pics you can pay verizon $.25 to send every file to your email address. I dunno but you might be able to save the files to removable flash memory, i dunno, my phone is the v3c which has no removable memory.

iSync works through USB with my razr, but no BT.

Anyways, Verzion is horrible, and I can't wait till my contract is up.

3. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to half to disagree with you on the fact that verizon is horrible. Most of my friends have a variety of cell phone providers and I've noticed that AT&T(Cingular) was the worst out of all them. One of my friends even cancelled his AT&T contract because the service was so terrible. Whenever my friends don't have coverage, I do. Verizon is very reliable. As goes for their OS, I've had an LG for the past 2 years. No problems at all. I actually find it very simple and easy to use.

I do agree with you that they make you pay for everyTHING. But I'm not much of a texter or pic messenger, so that doesn't bother me. I'm just looking for my next phone that will hopefully last me another 2 years when my contract is up in August, and can function as a bluetooth modem and work with isync.

I refuse to the buy the iPhone until it becomes 3G or with another provider because AT&T sucks, they don't even have good coverage in New York City!

Anyone out there that has the LG Chocolate (or Razr V3m) gotten it to work with iSync and as a Bluetooth Modem?

:apple: Chris

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Given Verizon's history of crippling the capabilities of devices, i doubt they will do anything except make calls, work with verizon's downloadable programs, and play tracks downloaded from the verizon music store :(

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Verizon loves to completely destroy the actual capabilities of their phones...so while a RAZR on AT&T would be able to do bluetooth file exchange, custom Mp3 ringtones and so on, Verizon would disable it and require you to purchase their own ringtones from the highly unreliable Vcast system.

I've had 0 problems with AT&T, I have far better reception than my friends who have verizon, and I can call them for an unlock code and use my phone in other countries, and none of the basic features of the phone have been disabled in favor of some BS operating system.

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Verizon is getting better at allowing certain Bluetooth profiles in phones to be enabled at the start. OBEX is one of those. You can also play own MP3 and WMA files on your phone on the microSD card or whatever your phone takes. You guys really need to research the phones a little more. Things have changed.

As to the original poster, you might want to wait a little while and see if the Chocolate2 is good. I've heard it's better, but just wait until the 9th for more reviews to come out and give you a better understanding.

In order to transfer audio, pictures, and videos to your computer without using Bluetooth, you can buy the USB cable, included in the Verizon Music Essentials Pack, and then I believe you will be able to mount your phone as mass storage. I'd recommend that you just buy a microSD/TransFlash card along with an SD reader and go that route.

iSync will NOT work with the Chocolate2 and won't work probably ever since LG has never supported iSync. If you want, there is a program called BitPim that will allow you to customize your calendar and address book as well as doing some file-system editing, but we don't discuss that here.

And the Chocolate2 is supposed to be around $100 with a 2-year contract, so you'd most likely get it for free with your $100 NE2 discount.

Any more questions? Just post them here or PM me.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this as well. Just because you have a certain service does not mean that the OP can switch to them. He wasn't asking if he should switch carriers, he was asking which phone had certain abilities. I have Verizon and while I don't like them, I keep them because most of my friends are on it and they have the whole IN thing which is a god-send for texting.

In the cell phone arena, one size definitely does not fit all.

7. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are they any iSync plugins out their for the chocolate or LG Phones?

could you use the Razr v3M as a bluetooth modem on my mac?

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

All I know is that my friend's brand new top-end RAZR on verizon was entirely crippled and inoperable with bluetooth and my mac, and the software they gave him for his windows computer didn't help any. Basically my older SLVR is a hell of a lot more capable than his brand new RAZR. Meh.

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Verizon is supposed to have the best service, but where I live Connecticut Cingular/ATT seems to be better. T-Mobile and Sprint undoubtedly are the worst.

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

There are no iSync plugins for the LG sadly. You can use the V3m as a modem, but you'd have to go to HowardForums and SEARCH there. Please, if you don't want to be killed there, search first. It's easy to find.

Like I said, to each their own. They have great coverage in some spots, but some spots are non-existant.

11. rhagen macrumors regular

verizon by far has the best service even though they cripple their phone. The reception i get was by far better then AT&T when I had it.