Verizon rep says they have a device to make their iPhones 4G??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ObsidianBlade, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

So...I was talking to a Verizon Rep. and he said that they have some sort of device that can make an iPhone run at 4G speeds, and he said it has to do with connecting to WiFi. Either he's talking about something I've never heard of or making a bad joke. Can anyone shed light on this?

2. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

If you connect to wifi what would be the point.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

He's probably trying to sell you a Verizon 4G Mifi hotspot. Basically it's a WiFi router with an LTE data card inside of it, that will let you connect any WiFi enabled device to it.

[​IMG]

It won't actually "make your iPhone 4G," but it'll let your iPhone use the LTE network over Wifi. This was what Verizon was doing back when the original iPad only had 3G connectivity over AT&T. To get in on the action too, Verizon sold the WiFi-only version and bundled it with a hotspot.

Of course that's a separate data plan (and 2 year contract) on top of the plan you've already paying for on your iPhone.

4. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I don't really get what he meant which is why I came on here. Maybe someone knows what he's talking about? He's going to get back to me at some point later in the day as he has some conference related stuff right now (I've been texting him).

He said "We have options" (referring to me returning a RAZR in favor of an iPhone. I asked
    "what do you mean by options?" and he said

"We can switch you to an iPhone. It's within 14 days. Also we have a device that can make an iPhone go 4G."

Naturally I was like "A device that can make it 4G?!" and all I got back was

"By connecting through wifi..." then the rest was about his conference.

----------

Oh....crap. That's probably what he was referring to then....are they cheap?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It also is as big as the phone itself...Bit of hard sell there I think.

6. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

These devices are a little smaller than the phone, but it's an additional $30-$40 on your plan, as you'll still need data for texts, etc. Also the battery life on these devices isn't the greatest yet.

7. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I'm sure he was talking about the mifi thing. I actually almost went this route when switching from android to iphone. My original plan to save $ was to get rid of a voice plan all together and carry around a mifi that had unlimited 4g for $50/month and then just using my google voice for all voice/text over 4g wifi. It was appealing, but I wound up starting service with straight talk for $45/month that has unlimited everything. Just more streamlined and easier to manage. But the 4g would have been nice.

Obvious drawback with something like this is you always have to carry the thing around with you. They make some pretty small ones though, definitely smaller than the phone.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The battery life isn't so good on the mifi devices. Impractical for all day use.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

No, they're not particularly cheap. Since I didn't want a contract, I paid over $250 for mine, plus $50/month for service.

It does work as advertised though - it's just spendy.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

$49 for the device on contract, and the data plan is like $60 a month (again, in addition to whatever voice and data plan you'd have on your iPhone). Sometimes refurbs are available for free with contract, but you still have that $60/mo plan.

Honestly, if you want 4G-"like" speed on an iPhone without having to do this extra-device setup, you've better off just getting it through AT&T and using their HSPA+ network.

11. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like it ain't gonna happen to me unless he can work out some sort of sweet deal. I'm not paying $150 a month.

12. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Didn't bother reading past this. Verizon reps are sales people, not customer service people. Their primary goal is to sell you more shit.

Two minutes spent Googling and you'll be more knowledgeable about a device than a Verizon store rep.

13. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got it since I can try it for 3 days with no penalty and I'll tell you that in the town I'm at to see my friend, it blows. It's nice at home though, which does me no good as I have a 35Mb connection there.

14. mrbutters macrumors regular

Should have just kept the Razr :p

15. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Shhh....you're supposed to support me not make me regret it lol.

16. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

On Verizon, I dare say he's right. Sorry, but CDMA 1xEVDO sucks. The iPhone's a great phone but CDMA is not great. It just can't consistently stay above the 1.5mbps or so you need for smooth video/streaming/etc

17. cynics macrumors G3

Since I drive all day I use a an Android tablet as a LTE hotspot. Works great.

If you want an iPhone go with AT&T. I wouldnt recommend a Verizon iPhone to an enemy. First thing I do when I go any place is see if they offer wifi (hotels, business conferences, even friends houses).

And to make matters worse you can't do voice and data (3G) at the same time.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hey, I have one too;

[​IMG]

The simple fact that there's no standard for "4G" and AT&T phones display that they're using it means that they can say whatever they want and it may be technically true...depending on who you talk to.