Verizon Rep states that we will have to use mail in rebates for the 199 price!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Olivia23, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Olivia23, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

A week or two ago I emailed Verizon about adding a new line and getting the iphone on it. Instead of emailing me back, they left me a message on my phone, so I called them back today. The customer service rep said I could add a fourth line and that I would have to use the mail in rebate. I said what? Then she said could I hold, which I did. When she came back she said yes, that they are doing a mail in rebate for the iPhone!!!!!!!!!!

I then said so how much up front will I have to pay then? I asked was she trying to tell me even if I add a NEW line, I would have to pay 600 up front? She said hold on again, then I was hung up on. Great... now I have to try and figure out if I'm going to even buy it now.

Edited to add that I called them back, and the guy I spoke with said that if you get the 16gig iPhone, you pay 199.00 (same for 32gig) plus they will do a mail in rebate. If that is true, then that's awesome because that will mean it's cheaper than we thought! I hope they know what they are talking about!

Also I asked was there anyway I could not pay up front. As in adding the 199 or 299 to my bill and pay when the bill is due. He put me on hold then came back and said no, that they would not do it for this phone. The reason I asked is they did it for my Droid X. He also said that if you preorder on the 3rd, you will not be charged until it ships, so I'm thinking that it still takes the money from your card and holds it until they charge you. I asked when they were shipping. He said the day after the 3rd.

2. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I say buy it from the Apple store, they don't do mail in rebates.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would get confirmation/go to a store, but that would be pretty hilarious if that's the case.

4. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

They're idiots plain and simple. Like how reps on the Verizon site were claiming you couldn't pay full cost for the phone on pre-order day.

As much as I love Apple and like my Verizon service, these Verizon reps are making the whole thing a fiasco. Apple must be in shock. Was it like this with AT&T in the beginning?

That being said, I have read that if you are going to add a line to get an iPhone, supposedly you will not be able to do so until the 10th. In other words on PRE-ORDER day only existing lines can pre-order. Don't take it as gospel, it's just what I've read.

5. Olivia23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Yes I am an existing Verizon customer so I have already been told that I can preorder on the 3rd. Yes I remember AT&T giving out a lot of misinformation with the iPhone 4 because I bought it in June on release day. I sold it in October because I got tired of dropped calls and went back to Verizon.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

One question I have is:

Will Verizon suffer the same insane activation delays that AT&T did on each launch, especially the first one?

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Well with the first version of the iPhone on ATT you paid FULL price. There was no subsidy. I also believe with the second version (3g) there was no non contract price so you had to sign a 2yr contract no matter what you paid for the phone subsidized or not if you did not qualify for an upgrade price.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

My money is on Verizon's website crashing within one hour of the release of the iPhone.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is yes if the demand is as high as I think they will be issues.
    Apple's and Verizons activation servers will get hammered.

11. Olivia23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Yep I'm sure they will too. They said you can call and order through Verizon instead of online.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is guaranteed that Verizon will have problems.

13. Pomeless macrumors regular

First I've heard that. Reference please.... Or was it a rep? I really feel bad for these reps getting slammed with detailed questions. There seem to be an awful lot of conflicting stories out there. Anyway you cut the cheese: Ima geta iPhone!:apple:

14. Olivia23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I called their customer service today and at the end of the conversation the rep was telling me I can preorder on the 3rd. I said online or can I call customer service and order by phone. He said either way would work.

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Quiet the optimist are you? I give 'em 30 minutes.

16. motownflip macrumors regular

I doubt reps know much at this point. Even the CEO seems unsure about some specifics.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Verizon can't even keep a static FAQ page up on the announcement date. Never mind a database heavy site.

Heck, not even Apple can handle the traffic for iPhone 4, and Verizon is not larger than Apple.

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

They do "instant rebate" deals a lot. I doubt they would do that mail-in rebate crap right away for the iPhone. Would not be surprised later.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, I think their public website has gone downhill over the past couple of years as far as responsiveness. Seems programmed at too high a code level.

But that's different from the servers that accept the activation request from the iTunes servers and give back a response.

Remember when AT&T's activation server subcontractor used to shut down for maintenance on every other weekend? Holy smokes, that was mean to buyers and people doing a restore during those times.

I cannot imagine any Verizon server being down for more than a few minutes. They believe in having lots of redundancy. Or if it happens once, they'll make sure it never happens again.

20. Orion126 macrumors regular

If the company was smart, and to avoid moans and groans from customer, they would partner up with Amazon to handle activation traffic.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So add in a 3rd system that could crash as a result? I'm sure Amazon would be happy to put that kind of load on their serves. Additionally (as far as I'm aware) Amazon has never activated a cell phone in the history of the site, what makes you think they'd be set up to handle something like this? If anyone, Google would be the best choice, but, you know...

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Amazon has a lot of experience in handling lots of traffic. Besides their own store they also sell cloud computing to companies. They do a heck of a lot more than just sell books.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hmmm, wasn't aware that they did that. I know that they sell more than books, I would just be surprised with Apple as a direct competitor with their direct downloads of music/movies that they would be amicable to helping out either Verizon or Apple out with their new activations. I think that Apple/Verizon shoring up their servers would be a better idea all around.

24. elan123 macrumors 6502

Agreed... verizon is dumb.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, because AT&T did this and had no issues..right? :rolleyes:

The idea of using Amazon is what's dumb. Verizon has their own cloud computing services to leverage.