Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Went to Verizon web site to check price quotes.

In short:
2 year contact with iPhone 5C. $99
450min Voice $39.99 (Nationwide Talk 450)
2GB of data $30.

Month-to-Month contract, full price for iPhone 5C
iPhone 5C price $450.
2GB of data $30.

NO change in month chargers (and expensive too at $69.99), even though I paid the phone full price.

Pretty sure I selected the feature selection correctly.

And the share plan jack up the price some $20 to $40 more.

Are the numbers right?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
If you've already paid full price for the phone and want cheaper monthly rates then take control and go pre-paid.

Otherwise sign a 2 year contract to get a subsidy at the beginning.

Simple as that.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes - the twisted thing about US carriers is that your monthly bill is the same whether you have the phone subsidized or own it outright. Take that fact in whatever direction you choose but that is the fact.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
If you've already paid full price for the phone and want cheaper monthly rates then take control and go pre-paid.

Otherwise sign a 2 year contract to get a subsidy at the beginning.

Simple as that.

Yes - the twisted thing about US carriers is that your monthly bill is the same whether you have the phone subsidized or own it outright. Take that fact in whatever direction you choose but that is the fact.

You'll have to go Tmobile or prepaid to receive a lower rate for paying for your device in full.

(Looks at Verizon site again)

Verizon Prepaid is just as bad as month-to-month!

What a rip off.

Yep.
Verizon is the most expensive carrier in the US.
You just pay more for the "network" or so they want you to think:D
You should feel privileged to be their customer...

And yet people complain that Apple stuff is "too expensive". :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Thanks for the info people)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The only reason to stay with verizon is if you have unlimited LTE data. Which I do. Otherwise, the company and service are not that special.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Hence, T-Mobile's Uncarrier program. They let you have cheaper plans once you pay off your device.

And I mistakenly believed Verizon offered something similar in response.

I plan to get get my new phone in December, will see if they change (probably not)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
And I mistakenly believed Verizon offered something similar in response.

I plan to get get my new phone in December, will see if they change (probably not)

Vote with your wallet. I personally chose and have kept AT&T as my provider because in my area they have continuously improved. So it makes sense to back them up.

Great service.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I'm a believer of "You get what you pay for"
Yes Verizon is the most expensive carrier but they've given me the best service i've ever gotten. I've had t-mobile and their service sucked here in my area. If i had to switch i'd go over to At&t.

For my plan its a Share everything 4gb plan with 2 lines. It works out to $80/line and we have never had a problem with our data limit.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
(Looks at Verizon site again)

Verizon Prepaid is just as bad as month-to-month!

What a rip off.

You talk as if this is a surprise :p

The carriers (besides t-mo) aren't in the pre-paid business. They are strictly in the business of "we do 2-year contracts, either get on board or go take your business elsewhere to pre-paid"

That would be like me complaining that gasoline is expensive or that its hot in the summer :rolleyes:
Of course it is. Either I should A) do something about it or B) quit complaining and accept what is.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Went to Verizon web site to check price quotes.

In short:
2 year contact with iPhone 5C. $99
2GB of data $30.

Month-to-Month contract, full price for iPhone 5C
iPhone 5C price $450.
2GB of data $30.

NO change in month chargers (and expensive too at $69.99), even though I paid the phone full price.

Pretty sure I selected the feature selection correctly.

And the share plan jack up the price some $20 to $40 more.

Are the numbers right?

Sadly, I don't have a choice. Verizon is the only quality provider where I live.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Vote with your wallet. I personally chose and have kept AT&T as my provider because in my area they have continuously improved. So it makes sense to back them up.

Great service.

Great customer service and signals for me, except at my house. They said they will improve, but never has, and it has become a major pain for me.

You talk as if this is a surprise :p

Of course it is. Either I should A) do something about it or B) quit complaining and accept what is.

C) My eyes are not deceiving me.
Again, I thought they offered a T-mo style plan. WONG.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

This. It's why I wish everybody would go to T-Mobile's model. That solves the subsidy problem by basically subsidizing a loan over two years for the phone, but then you aren't paying the extra amount after the two years. So if you keep a phone for three years, you save a bunch of money.

This isn't a Verizon thing. AT&T charged almost exactly the same, except I think the 2GB data plan was $25 and there was 200MB for $15.

I'm hoping by two years from now the big carriers will all offer something like this. I'm jumping back in with my parents on AT&T since the signal is much improved where I live and we can use the Mobile Share plans. They save money, I save money, we all get unlimited voice and text, plus I can finally use my phone as a hot spot for free.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Great customer service and signals for me, except at my house. They said they will improve, but never has, and it has become a major pain for me.

Have you complained lots of times? Several readers/viewers here have stories n which complaining to AT&T netted them a free Microcell. It's a patch job, but it assures you good home service.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
verizon hoses u extra hard if you choose not to upgrade as soon as your contract is up. best way to deal with that is to use your upgrade as soon as possible. Even if you don't want the 5s, use your upgrade on it and then sell it, and put the money away for the next shiny hotness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.