Verizon Roaming in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awadeee, Nov 1, 2011.

1. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This will probably get me a bunch of "cool story bro"s but I thought it was kind of neat. I work in a Glentel retail store in Canada and a gentleman came into my store and he had a Verizon 4S. Normally when I visit the USA, my carrier name changes from Telus to either T-mo or ATT depending on what area I'm in, so I assumed the same would ring true for someone roaming up in Canada from the USA. However, his carrier name was "Extended". Anyone have any idea what this means and what carrier he is actually roaming on? My first idea was that maybe he was using some old Aliant CDMA towers but now that the new iPhone is world, I figured he would roam on some of Bell's hspa towers. If you've got any insight, don't hesitate to post. :)

2. tsduke macrumors regular

Verizon will only roam on CDMA unless an international package is added to utilize the sim card.

3. radiotowers macrumors member

This was a few years ago (2001-2003ish), but when I had Verizon and was living in Toronto, I roamed on Telus... for whatever that may be worth. Of course this was when Telus and Bell were CDMA-only.

4. awadeee thread starter macrumors 68020

awadeee

You learn something new every day.

Good to know! It would only make sense. I guess just the thing that bugged me the most was the carrier name. I would like to know the meaning behind that.