Verizon Scammed me out of my Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ahw5071, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ahw5071, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

ahw5071 macrumors newbie

I would like to take a minute to share my story/experience with all of you to see if anyone else had experienced this and if I was truly wronged during the process.

I am currently a college student at school and for four days had been unable to call any mobile phones with an area code from my hometown. Frustrated, I called Verizon support to help me. When I was transferred over to technical support, an agent told me he put a "tracer" on my line and to hangup with him and begin to call mobile numbers that I was having issues connecting with. After doing so, I never heard back from him so I went into my local Verizon store for assistance. After explaining the issue to them, the sales agents never heard of this problem either and told me exactly, "Let's try and replace your SIM card maybe it's just a faulty one." Desperate for a solution, I let then and it solved the problem.

When I got home fifteen minutes later, I began receiving emails from Verizon thanking me for switching to a 2GB data plan as well as alerts notifying I was over my 2Gb allowance by 5 gigs. Puzzled, I called Verizon support and explained to the agent that this must have happened when the sales agent switched my SIM card, and that he NEVER notified me, nor did I EVER sign anything stating I was agreeing to loose my data plan. Recognizing their mistake, the agent agreed that it was their fault and put in a request to put my unlimited data plan back on my line and instructed me to keep using my data because "it will be applied again in a few days."

After a few days had passed, my unlimited was never reapplied so I called Verizon back. A different sales agent told me my request had been denied and I could not do anything about it. I then went back to my local Verizon store and spoke with the manager, once again detailing what had happened and he told me there was nothing he could do. I called Verizon back for a third time, and they explained to me that it's a company policy that they DO NOT have to inform me my data plan would change if I got a new SIM card, and when I asked them to provide me with that policy, they refused to saying that are not aloud. I reapplied a request to have my unlimited data plan put back on and am awaiting an answer from "a team of 3-5 supervisors."

-How am I at fault for loosing my unlimited data plan if I was NEVER told I would and I NEVER agreed to nor did I sign ANYTHING like a new contract or renewal?
    -How can Verizon have a "company policy" that they cannot share with the customer when it directly affects them?

Any help would be great.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Call to cancel your plan, that will change things quickly. But do be prepared to actually cancel your plan and go else where.

3. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Not sure about America, but in the UK we have a 14 day "cooling off" period in which we can cancel any policy or purchase if we decide we made a mistake! Maybe you can use that to cancel your new Limited Data contract and start afresh!?!

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Just keeping fighting with them. Or write/email their CEO/President. Typically they will have an affairs department look it over. Otherwise just keep working your way up the ladder. If they tell them there is no one higher, tell them BS.

Verzion sucks when it comes to customer service. I have found with them if you keep pushing you'll eventually get the problem resolved. Unfortunately for you, you have to do all the work.

Keep track of how much time you spend on the phone and talking to be people. Let them know when it's all said and done with. Maybe you can get some $$$ off your next bill for the "inconvenience" caused.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Putting in a new SIM card should not (in and of itself) changed your plan. You need to be firm with Verizon. They can and should change it back for you.

I would go back to the store and speak with the manager again. Be very precise in what occurred on the day in question. I would type everything out ahead of time. Inform the manager that if he does not get this resolved, you will be filing a formal complaint about him and the salesman in question with Verizon.

Do not let Verizon get away with this. Act fast while you are still in your 14 day window.

This kind of thing has happened to other customers as well.
    https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/810359

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Not necessarily true. Switching the SIM card (depending on what method the rep took) can very well require a plan change. You definitely want to address this soon and get your plan changed back though before it's too late.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

That is some ********. I'm sure they can get it back for you. Just keep calling them.

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Honestly, I'd switch to Sprint at this point. Verizon straight up disrespected you and you should no longer do business with them--you should not have had to go through so many channels to get a wrong righted. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make you pay early termination fees though, despite Verizon breaking the terms of the contract.

9. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Wow, that's messed up. Being a VZW rep (through best buy atleast) anytime a customer may lose their unlimited data, I also let them know. That way they atleast know what to expect. The guy not evening having the decency to inform you about the data changing...yeah that's wrong. I had a situation with my unlimited data one time as well. Took about 6 days to fix but VZW let me keep my unlimited. Guess it just depends who you talk to.

----------

Oh man, I'd stay as far away from sprint as humanly possible. Working with the cell providers, I have so many sprint stories that range from screwed up, to flat out being against the law.

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

VZW pulled some garbage with me too and lost unlimited. After several well-documented calls to them, I ended up getting 10GB monthly plan at the 2GB price plus a $200 account credit for my bill. Overwhelm them with document calls and go thru it with managers and supervisors. They will eventually give you something.

11. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

What do you expect from the nations most expensive carrier? That is why you have computers with internet not mobile data plans
    ----------

Do tell I want to hear them (Even if in PM) I'm Serious.

----------

Sound rather expensive my phone bill is $10 a month

12. ahw5071, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

ahw5071 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for the reply! I ended up filing a complaint with the BBB after the store manger refused to help me and the supervisors at Verizon Support refused to give me back my unlimited data plan. I received a call from a Vice President within the solutions division personally apologizing for how Verizon handled my situation and that it wrong of them. She was very apologetic and informed me if the supervisors were still refusing to give me back my plan, she would do it herself because she had the higher authority too.

I was (and still am) extreamly disappointed in how Verizon treated me. I pay them a fortune monthly for my bill and have been a customer since 2008. If it wasn't for this woman's generosity, I would have went to AT&T. My plan was restored.

EDIT: I would also just like to let Verizon customers know that the Verizon administrator who responded to my BBB request told me what Verizon did was completely wrong and they were incorrect. If you feel you have been wronged, I strongly urge you to use the BB or FCC to help. I didn't think this would get me anywhere, seeing how Verizon is the nations largest wireless provider and I didn't think a BBB complaint would warrant their attention. I came to find out no one within the Verizon technical support division can do much for you except follow "company policy" and the only way to get your issue resolved is getting through to someone higher up in the company.

13. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Well let's see, had a customer who came into my store and wanted to do the easy pay for a Note 4. Lady pays the down payment. It was about 400.00 dollars. Sprint then claims that the lady never paid, even tho both me and my coworker watched her pay. Basically the lady didn't get the phone. She basically paid 400 dollars for nothing.

Sprint also has a tendency of putting their numbers ahead of what's best for the customer. Example: The sprint store in the area will run a person's credit but will only set up the full account if the person does easy pay or the lease. If a customer wants to do a 2yr activation they send them to best buy. Why you ask? B/c that particular sprint store has to have a certain percentage of installment billing aka Easy Pay or Sprint Lease. A 2yr activation will screw up their numbers. And the poor customer goes to best buy, not knowing that we're gonna have to run the credit again b/c sprint didn't set the full account.

Had another guy that was in my store (BB) and wanted to get an iPhone 6 for his wife on easy pay. The down payment was 200+ dollars. Dude pays the down payment. I hit the button to activate the phone and I get an error message. So I call sprint and I'm like "WTF is going on?" And the rep tells me that Sprint's system crashed and its affecting sprint stores and best buy. So I'm like "well this customer just paid 200+ dollars, what is he suppose to do now?" They basically told me that customer would have to pay again and that sprint would refund his money (however it would take 2-3wks) I wanted to say "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME" but I was on the clock.

Then there was another incident where this sprint rep was being a complete prick to a customer. I was trying to help the customer with an issue but the rep on the phone was just being rude. He tells me that he's expert and knows more than me. I then politely reminded his smug ass that I handle not only sprint, but Verizon, AT&T and every prepaid carrier available in America. I then went off on him (b/c I was pissed off dude) on how he was treating the customer. I didn't like it. I work in retail and customer service and I know you don't treat customers like that. That poor lady did nothing wrong.

That's just tip of the iceberg. Personally, I'd never get sprint as my cell phone provider. I'd rather have a string and two cups. I'd probably get better reception too.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Thanks for giving us an update on how things worked out in the end. I'm glad you were able to get your plan restored. Did they offer you any kind of bill credit or increased services to help offset the hassle that you had to endure? I can understand how this customer service experience would lead you to consider changing providers even though it was eventually resolved in your favor.

15. ahw5071 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brother of the bond,

They offered me no bill credit nor increased services. I was just happy to stop dealing with them.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, sorry to hear that. Truly poor customer service. :(