Verizon shared data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Jun 12, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

2. diane143 macrumors 6502a

That just doesn't sound right. I pay $30/mo for 2gb on the phone now and can add the iPad for $20/mo (I forget how much data but it's more than I'll need). Yes, that is $50 but I don't need the iPad plan often - and this is showing only 1gb for $50, when now I'd get 3-4gb for $50.

That would be a really bad plan especially for low usage people. I actually will need data on the iPad in early July too.

3. Exio macrumors regular

What? $40 for every smartphone...I don't even see the value in this.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Good luck Verizon.

I suppose AT&T will be right behind this- pun intended.

I priced 3 smart phones
    0-1500 min
    0-2000 text
    and 1-2gb data

200/month + fees and taxes.

No matter what data I plugged in, it was 200/month +.

pretty soon it will be time to just get a dummy phone and an itouch. Come on T-mobile!

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know. I was trying to add it up but it seemed ridiculous. Most of our phones are "unlimited" on AT&T so this does not seem like an improvement. I don't need unlimited minutes... A good number is great but unlimited is useless. I'd rather have way more data and a minute limit. 10gb with our 5 iPhones would be gobbled up in no time.

6. Applejuiced, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon and pricey always go together.
    So the same 1GB can be used by multiple devices but in the end you're still using 1GB of carrier data.
    For $50? What a deal:rolleyes:

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

All these data issues are so frustrating! The phones and tablets improve and the data shrinks! Seriously it's nuts!

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I will be buying my new iPhone at full retail to stay at my unlimited data plan. :D

9. Nathan21585, Jun 12, 2012

Nathan21585 macrumors member

Yeah it's $50 but you also get mins and texting with that. So that takes away this charges so all your paying is $50. I am on AT&T so it's not like it matters to me but it seems like a fair plan.

Sorry just read that it's plus the $40 for smartphone which really isn't that great after all.

10. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't it $50 +$40 for the smart phone... For just one phone?

11. doubletap macrumors regular

Yeah. In addition to the $50 for data, there's the monthly access fee of $40 per smartphone.

dt

12. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

My guess is that the $50.00 will include the 1st smartphone, but given what we know about our greedy carriers, I wouldn't be surprised if the $50.00 was only to start up the share plan and did not include any of the devices.

13. LSUtigers03, Jun 12, 2012

LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Once AT&T starts this crap can it be avoided if you never get a phone from them?

ETA: What are people paying for family plans right now? With these new plans two smart phones with 4GB of data is $150 and that includes hotspot and unlimited text and talk.

14. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I've run the numbers, and considering the amount of data we use, we'll actually save about $5-$15/month over what we're paying now for two iPhones and a dumb phone. Add in my corporate discount, which the VZW rep I spoke to today indicated applies to the access fees for all lines but not the data, and I will be saving anywhere from $25-$35/month over my current bill. It looks like there will be winners and there will be losers with this new plan and it will be based on how many lines you have and how much data you consume. Heavy data users or single line plans(although you can still choose to 2gb for $30 plan) will lose. Multi-line customers who are light users are going to come out on top.

15. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Does anyone know yet if these share plans will replace the currently offered plans? Or are they gonna be extra options for us to choose from?

16. amdmaxx macrumors member

Verizon is throwing in unlimited SMS because nobody is using it.
    Everyone is on imessage/BBM/Google/whatsup/facebook chat already..

New plans seem expensive.. with 4G LTE those 2 shared GB will be eaten up in minutes.

----------

replaced for multiple lines families..
    If you get new subsidized phone or new plan - they will switch you.

17. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I don't think you read it right, it's $40 per phone PLUS $50 for 1gb of data for a total of $90. Not a great deal.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I didn't expect verizon to cut costs drastically, but I can't really even figure a way this would be cheaper for virtually anybody.

19. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Alright so I am on Verizon now and I am looking to get my 1st smartphone. I am on a 550min shared plan w/ my wife and we pay $59.99/mo. She wants to keep her dumb phone and not have a data plan and we want to keep our bill below $75/mo so should I hop on a current data plan while I can or just leave Verizon altogether?

20. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Here's how it works for me.

Currently:

$175/month after corporate discount and before taxes/fees
    Family share 1000 minutes (we go over that, but most is mobile-mobile)
    1000 texts on the two lines (wife has gone over many, many times)
    2 iPhones with unlimited data (we use less than 2gb combined per month)
    1 dumb phone with unlimited texting (teen who uses 15K+ per month)

New plan:
    2 iphones -- $80
    1 dumb phone -- $30
    4gb data plan -- $70
    Corporate discount -- (-$19)

Total before taxes/fees: $161

And honestly, we could get by easily with the 2gb plan, I just want to have the extra capacity. And with tethering being included it's an additional hidden savings for me as I buy it from time to time for family trips. It doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure. But for me this is a good deal.

21. takeshi74, Jun 12, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yup.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12...verything-service-plan-for-up-to-ten-devices/

$50 shared plan includes minutes and messages. It's not just data.

Don't assume your situation is universal. I pay ~$160 for 2 smartphones after corporate discount. We actually use about 2GB but I'd pick 4 for some headroom.

4GB $70
    Smartphone 1 $40
    Smartphone 2 $40
    Total: $150 prior to corporate discount.

Not a huge savings but it is cheaper.

22. greenmonk, Jun 12, 2012

greenmonk macrumors newbie

For me it's obviously cheaper to not switch plans when the new iPhone comes out and to just buy the iPhone at full price to keep my unlimited data.

Currently:
    450 minutes (I barely use half of them)
    250 texts (lucky if I use 10 texts a month)
    Unlimited data plan
    $61/month after discount (not including taxes)

New sort of comparable plan if I went for the shared plan:
    Unlimited minutes (I don't care about)
    Unlimited texts (I don't care about)
    2GB data/month
    $100/month before discount

It was mentioned somewhere that you will only get the discount on the phone part and not the data, so take off $8/month (20% discount) to make $92/month on the new plan.

$92-$61=$31/month more I would pay
    $31/month over 24 months (if I signed a contract) = $744

People with a single smartphone should stay far away from these plans. No savings for us!

I don't know about you, but it looks like I'll be saying goodbye to phone subsidies from now on. At least until Verizon tells me I can no longer keep my grandfathered plan.

23. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually... I had already checked the front page and it wasn't there. I posted my thread first and then submitted the link to MR... 10 minutes before they posted theirs.

As for the comment about shared data on my own Obviously I get what SHARED data is. I was responded to someone else's post... I am on a family plan with 4 other iPhones so a shared plan could possibly make sense if there was enough data. IMHO 10 GB isn't very much for 5 phones... or up to 10 which is what I believe Verizon permits.

24. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

If I understand it correct, that will be on June 28th, 2012 unless you already have an LTE unlimited plan by then. If you try to upgrade a 3G unlimited to an LTE unlimited after that date it won't work, even if you pay the full unsubsidized price. Or at least that is how I have seen it explained and the reason so many people are snapping up LTE Android phones right now and planning to pay full price for the IP5 in the fall. If I have it wrong then I apologize in advance.

25. greenmonk macrumors newbie

I'm basing my information on news articles such as this one:
    CNET Article

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter if it's 3G or 4G. Unless someone else has information I haven't seen.